This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1127543



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Melbourn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52250

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


MELBOURN ORCHARD ROAD TL 3844 (North west side) 24/198 Melbourn United 22.11.67 Reformed Church, (formerly listed as Old Meeting House) (Congregational Chapel) II

Congregational meeting house. c.1716 enlarged at the south end in 1815 and to the rear c.1830. Brick, rendered, with the 1815 front wall of amber brickwork and some stone detail. Hipped slate roof rising to a lantern, replaced by a polygonal cupola with a shallow domed roof covered with copper. Two stage front elevation framed by pilasters with plain capitals and bases. Range of three recessed, sixteen pane hung sashes at first stage. The ground stage has a hung sash also of sixteen panes, flanked by two pairs of six panelled double doors, each with moulded wood surround and pediment. Inside: The later pulpit is flanked by giant engaged Doric columns. There is a gallery to three sides carried on Doric columns of wood, the abacus enriched with carving. The balustrade has raised and fielded panelling and in the south end an C18 Chinese lacquered clock by Thomas Kefford of Royston. Squire stall between the two internal porches. Wall monuments: Mrs. Sarah Nash; members of Woodham family and Rev. William Carver all early C19.

R.C.H.M.: Record Card 1949 V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. VIII p.81 C.F: R.C.H.M.: Record Card G. Porter Chapple: Congregationalism in Melbourn 1694-1894

Listing NGR: TL3826444472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Chapple, G P, Congregationalism in Melbourn 1694-1894
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 81

National Grid Reference: TL 38264 44472


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:28:44.

End of official listing