SYMONDS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127653

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: SYMONDS HOUSE, 44, SYMONDS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SYMONDS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:42:19.

Location

Statutory Address: SYMONDS HOUSE, 44, SYMONDS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Linton

National Grid Reference: TL 55957 47152

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5447 LINTON SYMONDS LANE (North-East Side)

13/192 No. 44 (Symonds 22.11.67 House) (formerly listed as Linton Hospital) II

Home for the aged, formerly the Union Workhouse. 1836, by Hallet and Newman of London; contractor, Woolacott of London. Stables converted for new tramps cells 1913 by Edwards and Walden. Red brick with flint side walls and red brick dressings; internal walls of unfired clay bat bricks. Hipped low pitched slate roofs. Mainly two storeys, with cellars. Cruciform plan with blocks and linking ranges enclosing three courts. South-west main facade. Central block with pedimented central section slightly projecting with eliptical arched main entrance and similar arch to large window above, pediment with roundel, and dentil brick eaves cornice repeated on two lower 'bays' to left and right hand each with two ground floor and two first floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows in segmental brick arches. Originally linking the centre block to mnain side ranges were lower single storey ranges of three 'bays' with three round headed windows with glazing bars; the range to the left hand is intact and to the right hand altered with an inserted floor and windows. The side ranges each with two small ground floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows in segmental arches have a large eliptical arched three-light window above. Interior: plan altered but still coherent with some original details surviving, these include original doors with bolts, the details of the board room and chapel, and Newcastle glass in original windows. The workhouse was built for 200 inmates at a cost of £3,823.11.3d, a revised and less ambitious scheme; the flints and some of the bricks were collected and made by paupers of the parish. The brick walls and gates were completed in May 1837.

W.E.A. In and Out of the Workhouse. 1978 R.C.H.M. Report 1951 Pevsner Buildings of England p425 Plans Contract and Specification for Linton Union Workhouse. C.R.0.

Listing NGR: TL5595747152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52006

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
In and Out of the Workhouse, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970)
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing