This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LITTLE SHELFORD MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LITTLE SHELFORD MANOR

List entry Number: 1127852

Location

LITTLE SHELFORD MANOR, MANOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Shelford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51572

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4551 LITTLE SHELFORD MANOR ROAD (East Side)

19/168 Little Shelford Manor 31.8.62 II*

Small country house built mostly in 1746 for William Finch but with part dating from late C17. Fenestration altered late C19 and stonework restored C20. Grey brick with Ketton stone dressings. Roof of house concealed by brick parapet with stone panels. Four end stacks. Plan of main range with flanking service wings linked to the house by curved walls. House of basement two principal storeys and an attic storey. Five bays, including slightly projecting centre bay. Square heads to recessed hung sashes, mid-late C19 and to the centre windows which have shouldered surrounds. Garden elevation has Ketton stone doorcase and some of the hung sashes retain their glazing bars. Service wing to left hand, late C17, of gault brick with some red brick in rear wall. English bond. Hipped, plain tile roof with moulded wood eaves cornice and two side stacks. Two storeys and attic. Three hipped dormers. Symmetrical elevation of three cross-frame casements in segmental niches. Central doorway with one window at left hand, now blocked. Service wing at right hand now a garage, was built in 1746 in a style similar to that of the other service wing. Gault brick with hipped, tiled roof. Two storeys and attics. Three hipped dormers. Segmental arches to three blind window openings. Interior: Some of the details of the 1746 house survive despite alterations in C19 and a fire in C20. One rear room has a shouldered fireplace surround with an enriched pulvinated frieze and flanking Ionic pilasters. The overmantel is shouldered. Another room at the front is lined with raised panelling and the cornice is enriched with modillions and rosettes. The fireplace and overmantel also have shouldered surrounds. The hall has diagonally set paving with black setts, and a round headed arch with scrolled key block and fluted pilasters leads from the hall to the stairbay. The principal staircase is C19 but the back staircase is 1746, closed string with slender urn shaped balusters and a moulded rail. The late C17 service wing has an inserted staircase similar to that of the back staircase in the house. The roof is of staggered, butt purlin construction. The oher service wing has a room at first floor which is open to the roof, a reset early C17 door and a casement window of six lights. An earlier house on the site is associated in the early C17 with Sir Toby Palavicino and the family of Henry Wriothesley, Duke of Southampton and patron of Shakespeare. R.C.H.M: record card Cambs Record Office: Map collection V.C.H: (Camb) Vol. VIII p.222

Listing NGR: TL4554851810

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 222

National Grid Reference: TL 45548 51810

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:10:41.

End of official listing