This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SAWSTON VILLAGE COLLEGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SAWSTON VILLAGE COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1128038

Location

SAWSTON VILLAGE COLLEGE, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sawston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53092

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4849 SAWSTON NEW ROAD (North Side) 9/355 Sawston Village College GV II Village College. 1930. Architect H.H. Dunn from design by Henry Morris, Chief Education Officer for Cambridge. The first college of its kind to be built. Neo-Georgian style. Yellow bricks with darker plum brick plinth, and chimney stacks, red pantiled gable and hipped roofs. Symmetrical plan enclosing an open courtyard to east. Central hall block of four 'bays' with two advanced hipped roofed porches each with double six-panelled doors folded into lobby with round arched fanlights with patterned glazing bars open pediment and plastered doorcases. Linked by enclosed arcaded wings to north and south ranges. North classroom range, twelve 'bays' with tall twenty-eight paned hung sash windows with gauged brick arches and exaggerated key blocks, south range with twelve 'bay' arcade grouped in three's leading to public library pedimented and terminating the range. Interior: Details plain and functional with walnut plywood panelling and some original furniture. V.C.H., Vol. VI. Pevsner: Buildings of England

Listing NGR: TL4822549766

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978)

National Grid Reference: TL 48225 49766

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:36:47.

End of official listing