THE GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128228

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: THE GRANGE, 141, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128228 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:39:55.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GRANGE, 141, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Whaddon

National Grid Reference: TL 35077 45535

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3445 WHADDON BRIDGE STREET (East Side)

11/232 No. 141 (The Grange) Dyer's Green 18.6.86

GV II*

House, formerly a farmhouse. Late C14 with late C15 modifications, and late C16 and C18 additions. Timber-framed and plastered with tarred brick plinth. Plain tiled roofs. Red brick stacks to west cross-wing and east end of main range each with four septagonal or octagonal shafts with moulded chamfered bases and without original caps. Two storeys. Modified half H-plan. Main C14 range of three bays originally forming two open halls, converted to a trading hall c.1500 with inserted floors and jetty constructed in west gable (qv The Oak House, Hinxton, Cambs.); C16 cross-wings, to east with upper hall, and to west of three bays including a chimney bay framed from reused C13 or C14 timbers; double gabled C18 service wing to north. South elevation: Coved plastered eaves cornice. C19 bargeboards with apex finials. C18 raised and fielded panelled door in C16 cross passage position with canopy supported on shaped brackets. Five ground floor casement windows include two large early C20 windows; five first floor casement windows. Interior: Exposed timber-frame and floor frames show clearly the different building periods. Complete C14 roof with smoke blackened timbers, plain crown posts in closed trusses, chamfered in open truss with wide braces to the tie beams and braces to the collar purlin. C16 plastered moulded brick hearths and cooking hearth to south-west room, four chimney cupboards with original doors and hinges. Early C17 panelling in first floor south-west room complete with strap work frieze. Late C18 open string staircase. The farmhouse, formerly part of Fountains Farm, was converted to a farmhouse by the Wimpole Estate in the early C18 and sold in 1913. It is possible that the building was owned by the Lilley family in the C15; the Lilley estate came into the possessions of Sir Thos Cartwright 1567-97, and Henry Halfheide in the early C17 keeper of the Kings Game.

V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.143

Listing NGR: TL3507745535

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52640

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 143

End of official listing