CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128827

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, GLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 14:48:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, GLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Filton

National Grid Reference: ST 60306 79198

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 67 NW FILTON GLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH (east side)

4/1 Church of St. Peter 3.3.61 - II

Anglican Parish Church. Circa 1340, mainly rebuilt in 1845 by Hicks, much extended and further altered, 1961, by Taylor and Dickin. Rubble, brought to courses in tower, elsewhere snecked, freestone dressings, slate and copper roofs, raised coped verges with saddlestones; random rubble, concrete dressings, copper roof in northern extension. West tower, nave, chancel (now Lady Chapel), south aisle and porch; northern extension contains new nave and chancel. West Tower, the only remaining mediaeval fabric, strengthened and altered in 1961, has 2 stages; first stage has a plain entrance inserted 1961 below a 3-light Decorated west window; second stage has 2 single cusped lights on each face, the larger ones above, to bell chamber, have louvres; gargoyles carry the thin remains of the parapet; there is a copper clad hexagonal spike (also of 1961). The windows of the body of the church of 1845 are mainly Decorated. The gabled nave is no longer visible; gabled chancel has weathered diagonal buttresses, 3-light east window under drip with head stops, a pair of cusped lights to north and south and a blocked priest's door; gabled south aisle of 3 narrow bays, buttressed as chancel, has 2-light windows, those at east and west under drips; gabled south porch with chamfered pointed arch; 5-bay C.20 nave and chancel added as northern wing, pointed windows with mullions and transoms, low pitch roof behind parapet. Interior: roofs of nave and chancel of 1845 are arch braced and stand on large, well-carved, figurative corbels. (D. Verey, Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6030679198

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35028

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing