CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1129064

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CORONATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129064 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 23:29:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CORONATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bleadon

National Grid Reference: ST 34141 56909

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 35 NW BLEADON C.P. CORONATION ROAD

4/4 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 9.2.61 G.V. I

Anglican Parish Church. C14 (dedicated 1317), mostly C15, restored, and chancel shortened, mid C19. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roof, coped verges. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north organ chamber. Perpendicular tower, nave and first bay of chancel, remainder of which is decorated. Tower of 3 stages, weathered diagonal buttresses, north east polygonal stair turret; first stage, low, four centered arch west door under drip mould with decorated stops and blank shields in spandrels, 4-light pointed west window; second stage has one blank pointed window per side; at third stage, each side has 3 similar 2-light windows, outer ones are blank, central window is part open and louvred to bell chamber; half way up this stage, buttresses fade to clasping pilasters which rise through cornice to crocketed finials above quatrefoil pierced parapet; stair turret rises above this with panels and spirelet. Nave has 3 windows to south, tracery of that to west is plain, heavy and not cusped; to north, window to west is similar, then there is a blocked four-centred door with drip, then evidence of a 2-bay blocked arcade, the eastern bay of which has a small 2-light window, beyond is a plain, square rood stair turret with a single slit light. Gabled south porch has moulded, pointed arch and similar empty niche above. The west bay of the chancel has a 3-light window, Perpendicular, under a drip with one grotesque stop, beyond, chancel is decorated; to the south there are 2 two-light windows under a narrow drip which is joined at the impost, window to west has a further 2 lights below a transom, a low side light, between these windows a priests door with a prettily cusped head; 3-light east window; at north, 2 two-light windows, much restored, evidence of a blocked doorway (perhaps to former sacristy); the gabled north organ chamber is of 1953. Interior: very thick tower arch bears only one wave below the impost and is moulded above, there is a tierceron vault and a C20 screen; nave windows have complete rear-arches, that at south west has double moulding, all have very deep hollow; 2-bay blocked arcade at north east has shafts and hollows; rood stair doors are intact, crude moulded wagon roof; south porch has a moulded inner door above which is a narrow niche with vaulted canopy, mounted in east wall is a substantial fragment of mediaeval statuary, a panel with Madonna and 2 kneeling supplicants all under a cusped ogee arch; heavily moulded chancel arch with stone screen base, all the decorated windows have cinquefoiled rear-arches, there is an ogee cusped and sub-cusped canopy over the priest's door and this motif is repeated over a tomb recess in the south of the sanctuary, small cusped aumbry to north, plain wagon roof. Glass: east window of 1964, otherwise victorian memorial glass. Fittings: C12 tub font on later pedestal. Altered C15 pulpit on pedestal with a frieze, then a 2 light panel per side between crocketed finials, above a frieze and a cornice, mounted in arcade are C14 encaustic floor tiles from former chancel and fragments of early statuary. Tablets: south nave, slate crown and apron, remainder marble with allegorical figure to Mary Tutton, 1769, by S. Haynes of Bristol; marble on slate ground with draped urn to Samuel Norman, 1805, by H. Wood of Bristol. Sources: unascribed church guide n.d.; N. Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958.

Listing NGR: ST3414356909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33613

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing