NO 2 (FORMER HANNAH MORE INFANTS SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1129115
Date first listed:
24-Jul-1973
Statutory Address:
NO 2 (FORMER HANNAH MORE INFANTS SCHOOL), 2, ST MARY'S GROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO 2 (FORMER HANNAH MORE INFANTS SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129115.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 20:23:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
NO 2 (FORMER HANNAH MORE INFANTS SCHOOL), 2, ST MARY'S GROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Nailsea
National Grid Reference:
ST 46575 69901

Details

NAILSEA

1066/6/71 ST MARY'S GROVE 24-JUL-73 (North side) 2 COMMUNITY CENTRE (FORMER HANNAH MORE I NFANTS SCHOOL)

GV II* Barn, converted into school and now in use as community centre. Circa late C15 or early C16; altered 1791-2 and extended circa late C19. Stone rubble with limestone dressings. Pantile roofs with gabled ends with raised stone coping. Brick axial stack. PLAN: Surviving seven bays of a late Medieval barn of at least eight bays, the eighth [west] bay rebuilt as school room circa late C19, at about the same time as another school room and porch were added to the south side. In 1791-2 the barn was converted into a school by Hannah More. EXTERIOR: Long single storey range. North front has 2- and 3-light mullion-transon wooden windows and 2-light casements [one over the other] on right, in segmental arch openings; stone buttress with weathered set-offs on left, leant-to porch to left of centre with catslide roof carried down over C19 extension at front and C18 outshut on right. Right hand [west] gable end has three tall classroom windows. South elevation has segmental arch windows and late C19 classroom extension with buttress in the west angle with weathered set-offs. East elevation facing church has gable end of main range on right with tall segmantal arch classroom window, C20 outshut on left and late C19 classroom and porch extension behind. INTERIOR: Suspended ceiling concealing late Medieval roof structure: Seven surviving bays and truncated eighth [west] bay of arch-braced collar truss roof with cranked collars, curved wind-braces, two tiers of tenoned purlins, diagonally-set ridgepiece and many of the common-rafters intact. HISTORY: Possibly a tithe barn, that in 1791-2 was converted into a school by Hannah More [1745-1833], the authoress, educationalist and slave trade abolishionist, for the education of poor children. Hannah More built twelve Sunday schools and three 'greater' schools [largely daytime and evenings throughout the week]at Cheddar, Shipham and Nailsea, but those at Nailsea and at Cheddar are thought to be the only Hannah More schools to have survived. The school probably closed in 1833 following her death, but opened as a National school in 1835.

An important example of a late Medieval tithe barn with seven bays of a fine arch-braced roof, this building is also of considerable interest as a surviving Hannah More school. SOURCE: Nailsea and District Local History Society.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33736
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01129/18
Rights: Copyright IoE John Boothroyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].