Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129183.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:21:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 47864 59332



9/45 Church of Holy Trinity 9.2.61 G.V. I

Anglican parish church. C15, restored 1884. Coursed rubble, freestone and ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. 2 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses moulded string courses, south east corner polygonal stair turret and embattled parapet with cruciform arrow-slits. West facade has C15 opening with C19 tracery to lst stage and bell stage has simple 2-light openings under pointed heads. C19 sundial on south facade. South aisle has four C15 window openings with 3-light cusped C19 Perpendicular style tracery and carved head stops. Offset aisle buttresses, moulded plinth and eaves cornice, triangular trefoil pierced openwork parapet with crocketted pinnacles developing from buttresses and, at their bases, fine animal gargoyles. North aisle has 5 Tudor-arched windows of plain 3-light tracery with some C19 renewal and north door with chamfered paterae jambs and C15 plank door with elaborate wooden tracery overlaid at head of arch. Similar parapet with fine gargoyles and octagonal rood stair turret with pyramidal cap rising from crocketted and tracery panelled drum. Chancel east window has C19 tracery set within a C15 opening. South porch has similar buttressing and parapet as aisles but with a simple triple chamfered pointed headed entrance arch and above, a 2-light window under a Tudor arch with face stops to former parvise which has a stair turret at the west corner. Complexly moulded south doorway with C19 plank and batten door. Compartmented roof with moulded ribs on corbels to former parvise. Interior. 4-bay nave arcades of 4 clustered shafts to each pier with tight foliage capitals on south side only; simple single chamfered arches. Triple chamfered tower arch with moulded projecting imposts. Wagon roof to nave with carved bosses. Single chamfer chancel arch with a carving of man holding the lost rood screen to the right hand. C19 coved barrel roof to chancel and cinquefoil-headed piscina on south wall next to mutilated carving of Christ with censing angels. Aisle roofs carried on angel imposts and long wall shafts; fine ridge bosses. Fittings. Pews and screens in end bays of aisles erected 1913. C19 Perpendicular style pulpit, font and reredos. Royal coat of arms above tower arch, also 2 flags or colours of East Mendip Legion (raised in 1803). Fine set of late C19 stained glass. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4786559338


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02752/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].