This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COACH HOUSE, STABLES AND PIGSTY 40 YARDS TO NORTH OF SWANGROVE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COACH HOUSE, STABLES AND PIGSTY 40 YARDS TO NORTH OF SWANGROVE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1129381

Location

COACH HOUSE, STABLES AND PIGSTY 40 YARDS TO NORTH OF SWANGROVE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hawkesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKESBURY C.P. SWANGROVE ST 78 NE 4/178 Coach House, Stables and pigsty 40 yards to north of Swangrove 17.9.52 (formerly listed as Folly to Swangrove Rouse under Little Badmwton)

G.V. II*

Coach-house, stables and pigsty, now a garage with storage. Circa 1750 by Thomas Wright of Durham, restored C20th by C D Carus Wilson. Rendered rubble; castellated brick parapet with ashlar coping; hipped Cotswold stone slate roofs, one slate. 1 : 3 : 1 bays, the outer ones are in lower and slightly recessed wings. Single light casement windows with plain stone surrounds and under drip moulds, the outer ones are blocked. Coach-house to left with square headed carriage entry at side. To the right is a tack room with a lean-to pigsty behind. Stables in centre with hay-loft above; central plank door. One of a number of Wright's buildings for the 4th Duke of Beaufort and part of his best collection of garden and park buildings dating from 1748 - 1756. Journal of Garden History, Vol I No 3. Country Life, 9.X.71.

Listing NGR: ST7967985847

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1971)
'Garden History' in Garden History, , Vol. 1, ()

National Grid Reference: ST 79679 85847

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:18:44.

End of official listing