CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1129527

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129527 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:57:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Marksbury

National Grid Reference: ST 67803 62727

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 66 SE MARKSBURY C.P. STANTON PRIOR

2/20 Church of St. Lawrence e 1.2.54

G.V. II*

Anglican Parish Church. C12/C13 origin, mainly C15 and heavy restoration of 1860. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate and double roman tile roofs with weathered, raised coped verges. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel. Mainly Perpendicular. 3-stage tower with polygonal north-east stair turret and weathered, diagonal buttresses; first stage has a sharp pointed 2-light west window, Decorated of 1860, second stage is blank except at south which has a single square light, third stage has one 2-light window under hoodmould, trefoil- pierced blanking, per side; castellated parapet, corner crocketed finials. The buttressed nave is wider than tower, one of which buttresses it engulfs, to south are two 2-light, cusped windows with hoodmoulds flanked by 2 similar single lights, ashlar parapet, scratch dial, to north a similar single light and parapet are dominated by a very large and deep north porch, gabled with very thick walls bearing, to east, good C17 tablets, pointed arch springing from chamfered impost; within, a similar opening is filled by a low almost segmental headed door under an empty image niche, large recess and shelf in east wall, stoup. Chancel has to north one cusped single light and one lancet, tripartite, pointed east windows under continuous string, all of 1860, at south 2 cusped single lights flank a chamfered round headed door dated 1634. Interior: heavy chamfered tower arch, wagon roof with brattished wall-plate and bosses, some armorial, stoup in wall thickness by porch, image niche in south wall, lancet in chancel cut from C12 fragment. Fittings: plain octagonal font, C12? One good monument: Cox, 1650. Man and wife kneel by draped urn and skull below flying arcade, unlearned pilasters carry elaborate frieze and open pediment with headless figure, below children kneel around text plaque, below that apron with putto. (Source. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6780362727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32713

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing