Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129654.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:01:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 52940 58234


ST 55 NW UBLEY C.P. THE STREET (west side)

5/121 Church of St. Bartholomew 21.9.60 I

Parish church. C13, C15 aisles and tower arch, C19 remodelling of porch and restoration. Sandstone rubble, coursed in tower, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross-finials. West tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, chancel. Mainly Perpendicular style, remodelling and rebuilding of different periods. 2-sage tower has 3-light pointed arched west window with hood mould and relieving arch, 2nd stage has 2-light bell-opening each side with cusped lights, slate louvres, pointed arch and hood mould, north side has lancet below bell-opening; limestone quoins, moulded plinth, weathered diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with gargoyles, crocketed pinnacles at corners stone spire with finial and cross; south east stair tower has one weathered set-off, lancets, similar parapet and pinnacles, pyramidal stone roof. 4-bay north aisle has 3 windows to north, all 3-light with 4-centred arched head and hood mould, weathered buttresses, plinth, cornice and parapet with pierced cusped lozenge frieze, crocketed pinnacle above each buttress; pointed arched 2-light west window, roof-line visible from original narrow aisle, quoins remaining, similar 3-light east window. 2nd bay from west has gabled porch, with diagonal buttresses, pointed arched opening with inner shafts and hood mould, 2-bay C19 roof of arched-brace, collar and ridge purlin, inner door has 4-centred arch and hollow-moulded surround, heavy door with raised moulded fillets and strap hinges, remains of former image niche above. 5-bay south aisle has to left 2-light pointed arched window with cusped heads, quatrefoil above and hood mould, 3 other windows in rectangular surrounds, of 3-lights with cusped heads; weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses, no plinth, cornice with gargoyles, similar parapet without pinnacles, probably rebuilt Cl9; central bay has door with triangular head, door with strap hinges, scratch dial to left with gnomon missing; to west, set-off from stair tower and continued plinth shows original aisle line; 3-light east window with pointed arch. Chancel has pointed arched lancet to north and south, 3-light east window with pointed arch and hood mould; nave roof at same level as chancel. Interior: tower has C19 framed ceiling, pointed arched and hollow-chamfered door to tower, carved ledge on shield corbel to north, possibly formerly for image and re-set, tall pointed arch to nave with 2 broad wave-moulds. Nave has Cl9 wagon roof with wall-plate, 4-bay arcade to north and south, all pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders except 2nd arch from east in north arcade with round head, all piers on moulded plinth, with 4 hollows and shafts at corners, moulded capitals; octagonal north east pier, tall pointed arch to chancel with same mouldings as tower arch and former rood stair door at upper level to south, small shallow recess on south east pier with 2 pointed heads. North aisle has shallow 8-bay roof with moulded ridge purlin, principal rafters and one row of purlins, pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders to north chapel with 2 further bays of same roof construction, engaged pier to north as in north arcade, pointed arch with 2 chamfered orders to chancel. South aisle has 7-bay pitched roof, moulded principal rafters rising from stone mask corbels, moulded purlin, 2 similar bays for south chapel with moulded brace in central truss forming 2 pitches; small piscina on south wall, similar pointed arch to chancel. Chancel has ceiled 4-bay C19 wagon roof, south piscina with cusped head. Fittings: stone font in nave with square bowl, possibly C13; early Cig board in nave recording gifts to parish; pulpit in nave made from C17 carved wooden panelling; similar panelling forming reredos; carved wooden altar table in chancel, dated 1637 GLIT/CW; piece cut from bell dated 1622 with Prince of Wales' feathers, in north aisle, also chained Bible in showcase with similar panelling set behind. Monuments in tower, stone tablet with verse, to Mary Bush, 1679; similar tablet to Mary Bishop, 1707; stone tablet to John Parker, 1811; stone tablet with carved surround, hourglass and crossed bones, to Edmund Dribbick, 1701; small marble sarcophagus tablet, to Ann Pyatt, 1821; stone memorial with raised curved oval, carved cherubs on surround, to Thomas Jouxon, 1996. Stained glass of the crucifixion in east window, by J B Capronnier of Brussels, 1877. (Sources: Pevsner, N: Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5293758234


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07546/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Bassingham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].