This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Former Chapel of the Royal Hospital

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Former Chapel of the Royal Hospital

List entry Number: 1129741

Location

Former Chapel of the Royal Hospital, Royal Court, Royal Sands, Weston super Mare, BS23 4NJ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Weston-Super-Mare

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-May-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33243

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2018

ST 35 NW 3/50

Royal Sands Royal Court Former chapel of the Royal Hospital

(Formerly listed as Chapel of the Royal Hospital, UPHILL ROAD NORTH)

II Built 1871-1873, Hans F Price. Hospital chapel. Attached to south end of Royal Hospital (not of special interest). Three bay nave and apsidal chancel. Random rubble. Tiled roof with banded colouring. Coped verge at west end with attached stepped bell-cote to north. Strings. Lancet windows with buttresses between. Moulded plinth.

Good complete, original interior: entered through lobby which retains a blind, cusped screen. Apsed chancel with painted half-dome, ribs, corbelled on apostles heads. Enriched plaster dado. Lancet windows in Decorated style with cusped rear arches. Carved projecting pulpit; cusped and labelled recess to north. Three bay nave with painted ceiling. Some stained glass principally in Chancel. Original panelling and pews with cast-iron light fittings and communion rail.

Listing NGR: ST3164859872

Selected Sources

Other
Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 8 May 1873
Building News, 2 June 1871, page 428 and ill
Western Daily Press, 31 May 1871

National Grid Reference: ST 31648 59872

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129741 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 12:36:55.

End of official listing