TRETAWN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1129869

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: TRETAWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRETAWN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:14:37.

Location

Statutory Address: TRETAWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Kew

National Grid Reference: SX 03938 75750

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 07 NW ST KEW 5/181 Tretawn (formerly listed as Tretawne) 25.10.51 II* House. Circa late C16. Rendered stone ruble, partly rebuilt on front near centre of elevation. Rag slate roof with gable end on left, gable end to cross wing on front right and gabled 2-storey porch to right of centre. Brick end stack to inner room on left. Stone rubble rear lateral hall stack with moulded granite cap adjoining brick stack serving back kitchen in rear outshut. Stone rubble axial stack with moulded granite cap heating lower end with fireplace backing onto passage. Plan: original arrangement of plan uncertain. House comprises 2-storey porch on front to right of centre with wide through passage with hall to left heated by rear lateral stack and inner room beyond heated by gable end stack. Circa early C19 framed stair in projection to rear of higher end of hall and circa C19 dairy added in wing to rear of inner room. At lower side of passage the arrangement has been altered and probably comprised a service range in a cross wing which is projected to the rear where it was altered and converted into a dairy in circa mid C19: the roof was lowered and the large kitchen stack removed. The small lower end room on the front is now heated by a C19 fireplace which was probably inserted backing onto the passage and using the circa late C16 stack originally built to serve the 2 back-to- back fireplaces in the chambers above; a newel stair which is approached from the passage projects into this front room. A kitchen range was added in a lean-to outshut to the rear of the hall and passage probably circa mid C19. 2 storeys and attic, regular 3:1:1 window front with projecting 2-storey porch to right of centre and slight projecting gable end to cross wing of service range on right. 2-storey range on left with front wall partly rebuilt in late C20; ground floor with C20 door in window opening to left and two 4-light mullion windows with central king mullions, hood-moulds and diagonal leaded glass to hall on right. First floor with late C19 6-pane sash, C19 16-pane sash and late C19 6-pane sash in 3-light mullioned window opening to right. To right of porch, 16-pane sash in larger, partly blocked opening with hood-mould above. First floor with 3-light mullioned window with early diagonal leaded glass. Blocked attic window above with hood-mould. Projecting 2-storey porch with segmental granite arch with hollow chamfer, ornate stepped and ogee stops and carved spandrels. Hood-mould partly removed with later dressed stone segmental arch with key stone. 3-light mullion window above with hood- mould and C19 casements. Blocked attic window with hood-mould. Interior Wide through passage with almost 3-centred granite arched entrances on front and rear with slightly hollowed chamfers and pyramid stops. Circa 1700 rear door with 6 raised and fielded panels and strap hinges. Hall on left with high quality oak hall screen of circa early C17. On the hall side the panel frame of stiles, muntins and rails is scratch moulded and the central entrance is flanked by incised pilasters. The frieze above is carved with stylised acanthus leaves and the moulded cornice may have been added, projecting into the moulded plaster cornice which appears contemporary. The passage side of the screen is plainer with slightly raised panels. The door, although possibly contemporary may have been modified and is undecorated on the hall side. On 2 sides of the hall, a circa early C17 plaster frieze remains intact with floral trail and moulded cornice. This cornice was removed on the front side, probably when the front wall was rebuilt and is partly obscured by the cornice of the screen. C20 hall chimney piece. Framed probably early C19 stair to rear of hall. Inner room with chamfered granite fireplace. In service range at lower end a C19 fireplace backs onto the passage and in the dairy to the rear are circa C17 chamfered ceiling beams with straight-cut stops, 2 salting kevers and slate slabs. The back kitchen in the outshut to rear of the hall is heated by a fireplace which is back-to-back with the hall fireplace. Reset in the right-hand jamb is a piece of carved granite with '1620 P M' (Phila Molesworth). The timber newel stair approached from the lower side of the passage with an ovolo- moulded doorframe; the stair was possibly lit by a window, now blocked which would have used borrowed light from the service range. Chamber above service range on front has granite fireplace with chamfered lintel and jambs with truncated pyramid stops, probably original granite kerb and pentan to rear. Door leading from lower end chamber into first floor of porch has circa early C17 ovolo-moulded doorframe with elongated scroll stops and original 6-panel door with scratch moulded framing. 2 chambers above hall and through passage also have granite fireplaces with chamfered lintels and jambs, one with pyramid stops and the other with scroll stops. Chamber above inner room has corbelled granite fireplace with chamfered lintel and jambs now blocked and rear lateral stack which once served it has been removed. Roof structure probably replaced in circa mid to late C17. The 7-bay roof above the hall, inner room and through passage is divided from the lower end by a stone rubble wall which rises to the apex. 2 trusses above inner room and wing to rear renewed in circa mid C20. 4 trusses above hall and passage with chamfered collars have been partly halved, lapped and pegged onto the face of the principals each with 3 timber pegs and splayed dovetailed-type joints. 2-tiers of trenched purlins (renewed) and renewed diagonal set ridge. Similar truss above porch with 'N Bray 1888' on collar. Nicholas Bray was a local carpenter still remembered by elderly local inhabitants. Roof above service range replaced to rear in circa late C19 with front range inaccessible. In 1438 Thomas Lanhergy received 6s 3d from Nicholas Colapyn for relief on the death of his father John Colapyn for the whole of the ville of Tretoun. By C16 Tretawn was in the possession of Francis Carnsew (qv Bokelly) and in late C16 was brought by the Kestell family. Later conveyed to John Molesworth of Pencarrow (see datestone 1620 PM in back kitchen). Later came to John Godolphin who sold Tretawn to William Keigwin of Moleshole in 1659. Information from tenants.

Listing NGR: SX0393875750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351521

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing