Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130012.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 15:18:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 47920 54395



SX4754 CATHERINE STREET, Plymouth 740-1/57/356 (East side) 25/01/54 Church of St Andrew


Large parish church, the largest in Devon. Mid C15-late C15 on older site; tower paid for by Thomas Yogge, a merchant, in 1460; John Dew, a mason, worked on the S aisle in 1481-82; John Andrew worked on St Mary's aisle in 1481-82; some restoration by John Foulston in 1826 and by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1875; much damaged in the Blitz and restored 1949-57 by Frederick Eschells. Plymouth limestone rubble walls with granite dressings; dry slate roofs with coped gable ends. PLAN: nave, chancel, N and S aisles, N and S chapels and porches, W tower. EXTERIOR: C15 windows with 1875 Perpendicular style tracery: E end with 5-light windows to aisles and 6-light window to chancel; similar W windows; angle buttresses; other aisle windows with 4-light windows, all windows with hoodmoulds. porches have pointed-arched doorways, the N porch with square hoodmould and carved spandrels. 4-stage tower (136 feet high) with offset corner buttresses; strings dividing stages; embattled parapet with polygonal crocketed corner pinnacles. 4-centred arched N doorway; 2-light traceried windows to next stage; clockfaces to stage above and 3-light louvred and traceried windows to upper stage. INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades between nave and aisles, 2 bays between aisles and chapels and lower arcade of 3 bays between chancel and aisles, all with standard A (Pevsner) type piers and depressed arches; chancel arch; post-war waggon roofs. FITTINGS: destroyed during Blitz. 1661 font found in garden; post-war altar furnishings by Colin Shewring. MONUMENTS: C12 or C13 monument with head on pillow; monument to John Sparke and his wife 1635 with kneeling figures; monument to Jane Barker, died 1769; bust by Chantrey 1829, another to Mrs Risdew, died 1818, also by Chantrey; monument to Dr Woolcombe, died 1822 by Westmacott with 2 standing figures of Medicine and Charity, and various other monuments. STAINED GLASS: E and W windows 1958 designed by John Piper and made by Patrick Reyntiens. HISTORY: just after the damage caused to this church during 1941, the word "RESURGAM" appeared above the N entrance and flowers were planted inside. This simple act inspired the people of Plymouth and raised their moral, and set their minds on repairing the church once the war was over.

(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 641-642; Power WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches: 1977-: 22).

Listing NGR: SX4792354396


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 641-642
Power, W J , A Laymans View of Some Plymouth Churches, (1977), 22


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/06372/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerald Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].