LANYONS ALMSHOUSES (LANYON HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130022

Date first listed: 01-May-1975

Statutory Address: LANYONS ALMSHOUSES (LANYON HOUSE), CHARLES CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANYONS ALMSHOUSES (LANYON HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130022 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:07:29.

Location

Statutory Address: LANYONS ALMSHOUSES (LANYON HOUSE), CHARLES CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 48255 54665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4854 CHARLES CROSS, Plymouth 740-1/58/360 Lanyon's Almshouses (Lanyon House) 01/05/75

GV II

Corporation almshouses. 1868 by Robert Hodges, built on site of almshouses founded in 1679. Rendered brick; dry slate roof fronted by alternate stepped gables and gables with acroteria; tall 2-stage axial stacks. Tudor Gothic style detail. Curved shallow-depth plan on a corner site. 2 storeys; 5:7-bay front, the 7-bay Charles Cross elevation stepping up the hill to the left. Transomed mullioned windows with square hoodmoulds and casements with glazing bars; 2-light windows except for 3-light oriels on moulded corbels to central entrance bay and bay to far left. 4-centred arched moulded doorway with square hoodmould; 3-pane overlight and pair of planked doors. Ebrington Street elevation to left-hand return has tablet inscribed: "John Lanyon Merchant deceased, some tyme Mayor of this Towne, was the first Benefactor to these Almshouses and gave Three hundred pounds towards there building for use of the poor of this Parish 1679." INTERIOR: not inspected. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner P: Devon: London: 1989-: 668).







Listing NGR: SX4825254666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473236

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 668

End of official listing