CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1130123
Date first listed:
28-Jan-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH END

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130123.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2021 at 17:14:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wood Walton
National Grid Reference:
TL 20888 82168

Details

TL 28 SW WOOD WALTON CHURCH END

6/80 Church of St Andrew

28.1.58 II*

Former parish church, now redundant and in the Care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. C13 south arcade of nave, C14-C15 West tower, C14 chancel, and early C16 north arcade, but much of the fabric was rebuilt in 1856-9. Coursed limestone rubble with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Plan of West tower, nave with north and south aisles and chancel. West tower embattled of three stages with later, four stage diagonal buttressing. Restored west doorway in pointed arch and west window with ogee tracery in two centred arch. Second stage has a lancet window and the bell stage two light opening with trefoil head in two centred arch with label. Nave with C15 clerestory of four windows to each side. Two trefoil lights in square head. South aisle has three windows, all C19. Two trefoil lights with ogee tracery in square head. Labels with mask stops. Gabled south porch, C19, has niche with sculpture of St Andrew in stone. Chancel south wall has two C14 windows of two trefoil lights each with ogee tracery in square head with label. C19 East window of three graduated, trefoil lights in two centred arch. The north wall retains a C13 window of two lights with y tracery. Interior: south nave arcade of four bays. Two centred arches of one unmoulded and one chamfered order on round columns with moulded capitals and bases, except for one which is octagonal. North arcade is also of four bays, early C16. Two centred arches of one continuous chamfered outer order and an inner order also chamfered on half octagonal attached shafts to the responds of narrow piers with embattlement and blank shields of arms to the capitals. Much of the inner wall material is of C19 brick, plastered. Chancel arch, two centred of two chamfered orders, the inner on a corbel. However there is medieval stone on either side of chancel arch. C19 tiled floor to chancel and sanctuary. In the chancel there are two early-mid C19 wall monuments to members of the Hussey family. The font is Victorian in C15 style. There are some C12 tomb slabs against west wall of nave. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p369 R.C.H.M. Hunts. mon. (1) V.C.H. Hunts Vol. III



Listing NGR: TL2088882168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
54713
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 369

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/00558/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].