PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130127

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 05:02:11.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Barham and Woolley

National Grid Reference: TL 14919 74515

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 SW BARHAM AND WOOLLEY WOOLLEY

11/4 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St Mary

GV II

Parish church now ruinous. Surviving ruined walls of west tower and doorway late C14, south nave wall and blocked doorway, south aisle wall and part of jamb to south doorway and buttresses and wall of south transept c.1300; the south transept and south aisle were rebuilt in 1914 and tower in 1932. Walls of pebbles and limestone rubble with limestone dressings. The blocked south doorway of nave has Romanesque chevron ornament, the west doorway of the tower is two-centred with double ogee moulding and with hollow-chamfered label and plain stops.

HISTORY: The church formerly consisted of a west tower with spire, a nave with north and south aisles, a small south transept chapel and a chancel. The church is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, but the Romanesque stone chevrons built into the south nave wall suggest the existence of a building here in the 12th century. The chancel, nave, aisles and transepts were built c1300. The nave was lengthened and the tower and spire built in the late 14th century. The chancel was restored in 1857; the south transept and aisle were rebuilt in 1907, and the north aisle restored in 1914. The nave arcades were strengthened and the tower and spire restored in the 1930s. The church was abandoned c1960.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This church survives in a ruinous state, but the fragments of Norman fabric, and the more substantial fabric of c. 1300 and of the C14, with the surviving west doorway, are important. It is a site of historical and social significance; the ruins and the churchyard, with headstones, bear witness to centuries of religious observance within this parish. Churches are often expressions of high art and have an iconic status within the nation's history.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p300 VCH: Huntingdonshire p127

Listing NGR: TL1491874510

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54722

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 300
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 127

End of official listing