This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1130338



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ELLESMERE PORT & NESTON DOCKS BASIN SJ 4077 7/17 Boiler-and-Pump Houses and Hydraulic Accumulator 26.11.75 Tower (formerly listed as as Ellesmere Port Dock - Pump House) GV II 1876, extended and altered. Parallel joined boiler and pump houses which supplied hydraulic power, first to warehouse and docks machinery, and from 1910 to an adjoining flour mill. RECTANGULAR BOILER HOUSE of brown brick with pro- jecting blue brick plinth, corner piers and parapet gables with stone copings, shaped finials and kneelers. Three semi-circular window openings and camber arched doorway on south east side. Tapering steel-banded octagonal chimney with boldly coved projecting cap, free-standing at south west end of boiler house. Two Lancashire boilers. RECTANGULAR PUMP HOUSE on north west side of boiler house, taller and of same materials and similar detailing to boiler house, but with raised iron floor. Flight of stone steps lead to framed and boarded entrance door; north east tall paired round-arched small-pane iron windows in south west gable. Tall extension at west corner built in 1910 to house pumps to serve adjoining (now demolished) flour mill. The pump house was for two horizontal duplex pumps, 1876, by Sir W G Armstrong & Co (one restored) and two later vertical pump engines, the larger a twin tandem com- pound of 1910 by Peam of Manchester. SQUARE ACCUMULATOR TOWER with massive timber corner-posts, weatherboarded sides and slate pyramid roof adjoins north west side of pump house. The tower contains a vertical weighted hydraulic ram, 16.875 inches diameter x 12'0" stroke bearing approx 70 tons of pig-iron in a cylindrical container to provide 750 lbs/square inch pressure.

Listing NGR: SJ4057877145

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40578 77145


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130338 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:24:41.

End of official listing