This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 6-22 ROYAL COLLEGE STREET, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND BOLLARD IN PEDESTRIAN WAY OF NUMBER 12

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 6-22 ROYAL COLLEGE STREET, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND BOLLARD IN PEDESTRIAN WAY OF NUMBER 12

List entry Number: 1130407

Location

NUMBERS 6-22 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND BOLLARD IN PEDESTRIAN WAY OF NUMBER 12, ROYAL COLLEGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477886

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/06/2017

TQ 2983 NW, 798-1/77/1404

CAMDEN, ROYAL COLLEGE STREET (east side), Nos. 6-22 (even) and attached railings and bollard in pedestrian way of no. 12

18/03/93

GV

II

Terrace of nine houses. Nos. 14-22: late C18, probably built by Joseph Kirkman and Alexander Hendy as part of the development of Lord Camden's Estate. Yellow stock brick with stuccoed ground floors and continuous second-floor sill band. Four storeys and cellar, two windows each. Round-arched entrances with later doors and fanlights. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes, first floor having iron window guards. Parapet. Nos. 6-10: early C19. Yellow stock brick with stuccoed ground floor and first-floor band. Symmetrical design, the central house slightly projecting. Windows 1:2:1. Three storeys and basements; no. 8 with attic. Nos. 6 and 10 have round-arched ground floor openings; doorways have fanlights and later doors, sash windows with glazing bars. No. 8 has square-headed ground floor openings, doorway with overlight and later door and sash window with glazing bars.

Upper floors have gauged brick flat arches to later 2-pane sashes; no. 8 with an attic lunette sash. Stone-coped parapets of nos. 6 and 10, with brick modillions, sweep up to the higher parapet of no. 8 in the form of a pediment. Nos. 6-10 are not on a map of 1806 but appear by Greenwood's Map of 1827 flanking a lane known as Upper College Grove. No. 12: early C19. Built over the beginning of Upper College Grove and linking nos. 10 and 14 Royal College Street; pedestrian access only to the lane, now known as College Grove, via the round-arched right-hand passage-way with the original cast-iron bollard. Three storeys and basement, two windows. Round-arched entrance with rusticated keystone, fanlight and later door. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes; ground floor with glazing bars; upper floors, 2-pane. Parapet.

INTERIORS: not inspected but noted to retain some original features.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Kirkman and Hendy were amongst the first speculative builders to take leases following Lord Camden's Estate Act passed in 1788 for the building of 1,400 houses for "industrious artisans" on the southern part of his Kentish Town Estate. Their first take was in June 1790 and the leases for the houses on Royal College Street all ran from Michaelmas 1790. Nos. 14-22 appear on the Stockdale Map of 1797. The French poets and partners Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud lived at 8 Royal College Street from May-July 1873.

Listing NGR: TQ2947383711

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29462 83731

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2017 at 09:58:25.

End of official listing