ASHCOMBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1130716
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
ASHCOMBE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHCOMBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130716.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 01:28:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASHCOMBE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Berwick St. John
National Grid Reference:
ST 93375 20110

Details

ST 92 SW BERWICK ST. JOHN -

5/41 Ashcombe House

GV II

Country house. Early C18, altered C19 and 1930s. English bond brick, tiled hipped roof, brick stacks. L-plan, the truncated remains of a larger house. 2-storey, 4-window. 1930s Gibbs surround with scrolled pediment to doorway, to right is one 9-pane sash with decorative leading and to left are 2 sashes with decorative leading; all are segmental-headed with keystones. First floor has four similar 9-pane sashes. Moulded stone cornice and blocking course with limestone coping. Right return has two 6-pane sashes to ground floor. Left return has lean-to extension to ground floor and 9-pane sashes to first floor. Rear, garden front has three 9-pane sashes with segmental heads and keystones, French windows, first floor has 1930s 18-pane sash lighting stairs and two 9-pane sashes. Interior not accessible at time of survey (March 1985), but said to have Chinese Chippendale stairs, most of fittings are probably C20. A large house built on this site by Barber family in late C17, altered by them and subsequently partly demolished in mid C18 by Sir Walter Grove; present small house is a survival of the eastern wing. Occupied by the society photographer, Cecil Beaton, between 1930 and 1947, when the house was renovated. (C. Beaton, Ashcombe-The Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, 1949 (illustrated); N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Early C18 painting in Salisbury Museum.)

Listing NGR: ST9337520110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320267
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beaton, C , Ashcombe the Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, (1949)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].