DEAN'S ORCHARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130723

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: DEAN'S ORCHARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DEAN'S ORCHARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 00:04:38.

Location

Statutory Address: DEAN'S ORCHARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mere

National Grid Reference: ST 81150 32240

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8032-8132 MERE CHURCH STREET (off south side)

6/49 Dean's Orchard (formerly listed as: The Vicarage, 6.1.66 formerly Dean's Orchard)

GV II

Large detached house, adjoining churchyard. 1708 and 1756, extended across north side later. Good squared and coursed Doulting stone to front (south) with some Chilmark stone including quoins, mainly rubble elsewhere, plain tile roof. Originally a 3-bay symmetrical C18 house on 3 floors plus attics, in mid C18 extended by further 3-bays on 2 floors and attics, under continuous roof line, with especially lofty ground floor in later half; to left is lower, 2-storey unit. Garden front has at ground floor three 2-light horizontal glazing bar casements to keyed voussoirs, then part-glazed door under 3-pane transom light plus two large 12-pane sashes to voussoirs and keystone. At eaves are two 2-light casements and a painted blocked opening then three 12-pane sashes; at intermediate level in left half one casement and one 12-pane sash, both to keyed voussoirs Four large hipped dormers; to left with blocked painted-on windows, a 2-light casement and a 12-pane light. To left is 2-storey 1-window service unit; this section rendered. Rear, towards churchyard, in coursed rubble has scattered fenestration, with, at ground floor, two 2-light casements and 2-small square lights, also a 2-light with transom, to stair, with 3-light flat-roofed dormer above. Far right, in lower unit, a 2-light at eaves, most openings with concrete lintels. Left is plank door in plain frame. A large external stack with shaft in brick to gable, left, and 3 ridge stacks. The external wall of the C18 building is mainly concealed by later swept-down or lean-to additions on the side. Interior: cross passage from south leads to fielded 6-panel door, probably a principal entry before addition of later corridor and lean-to. Many fielded panel painted doors, shutters to high room to right which also has chair rail and decorative cornice; two rooms to left with lower ceilings, and with small rough chamfered beams. The far room has two recessed to cambered arches in soft red brick dressings, perhaps originally external openings. At first floor the date 1756 is scratched in plaster. Between early and later sections a 2-light opening, with lath and plaster. Roof to 1708 section is pegged 2-purlin double collar; the intermediate gable wall retains a 2-light window, now internal. A further 2-light window at first floor is also now internal. The name of the property derives from a grant by Edmund, son of the Earl of Cornwall, in 1280, to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, of land here including a mill for grinding corn. It remained with the Ecclesiastical Commissioners until 1969. (Mere: A Wiltshire Country Town; 1975).

Listing NGR: ST8114432237

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320176

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mere A Wiltshire Country Town, (1975)

End of official listing