PENHILL PRECEPTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1130853

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: PENHILL PRECEPTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PENHILL PRECEPTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:29:50.

Location

Statutory Address: PENHILL PRECEPTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: West Witton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SE 03575 88776

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 08 NW WEST WITTON TEMPLE

8/129 Penhill Preceptory 13/2/67 (Formerly listed as Templars' - Chapel of Our Lady and St. Catherine.)

II Ruins of Preceptory of Knights Templars. c.1200. Rubble. Rectangular in plan. Walls standing up to 750mm high. South doorway with bases for a single shafted order. Interior: base for stone altar, and sanctuary step. Stone coffins and grave covers. The association with the Templars has been corrupted into the place-name Temple. The chapel was dedicated to Our Lady and Saint Catherine. When the Order of Knights Templars was suppressed in 1312, the property was handed over to the Knights Hospitallers, and seems to have passed into lay hands. The chapel remains were uncovered in 1840, the adjoining residential buildings not being exposed. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. VCH i, p. 286; H. Speight, Romantic Richmondshire (1897), pp. 417-427.

Listing NGR: SE0357588776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321876

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 286
Speight, H, Romantic Richmondshire, (1897), 417-427

End of official listing