This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WILSFORD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILSFORD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1131008

Location

WILSFORD HOUSE, WILSFORD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wilsford cum Lake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321539

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILSFORD CUM LAKE WILSFORD SU 13 NW (east side)

8/218 Wilsford House 15.4.87 II* House. 1904-6, by Detmar Blow, for Sir Edward Tennant (Lord Glenconnor). Flint and chalkstone chequerwork, with stone slate roofs. Rear wing similar but irregular chequerwork and thatched roof. Two storeys, and tall attic storey. Rectangular plan with inset central section on north-west and single storey service wing to north-east, entrance side. Each facade has 3 steeply pitched moulded gables terminating in trefoiled finials to attic storey. North-west has a low central 6-panelled door with monolithic lintel inscribed ET 1906 and 3-light overlight flanked by windows in the recessed section. Four-light stone-mullioned and transomed windows with rebated chamfers and no labels throughout. South- west front has central oriel with central half-round glazed light set over secondary entrance. South-east front has half-glazed panelled door and segmental canopy on carved consoles. Ashlar stacks. Service wing has irregular windows and 3 flush dormers. Interior: North-west door leads to large reception hall opening to an open well stair to rear, a handsome wide structure of late C17 design with heavy handrail and baluster newels - in limed oak, said to have been reconstructed from an imported stair. Shallow arches with finials. Dining room to right of hall has coved ceiling and marble fireplace. Corridor to south door has groined plaster vaults. Rooms to south-east front also have marble fireplaces. Secondary stair has counter turned spiral balusters, also in limed oak, and varied panelling throughout. First floor rooms have cornices and marble fireplaces. Attics constructed of heavy quasi-crucks and king posts of oak, set at right angles at each corner of building providing round circulation from top of great stair. Wall construction approximately lm thick, carrying solid floors, perhaps of fire resisting concrete as Happisburgh House. The building is one of the few surviving relatively unaltered works by Detmar Blow, who was related to his client. It is a prime example of his careful and finely detailed design. It was inherited by the Hon. Stephen Tennant (1906-1987), poet, painter and aesthete, in 1927 and decorated by him and his friends for his circle, which included E.M. Forster, Virginia Woolf, and Siegfried Sassoon. The interior decor is a unique and splendid reflection of the man and his times. Country Life, 29th Sept 1906; Recent English Domestic Architecture, 1908) 1. 7, 57-9. J. Franklin: The Gentleman's Country House and its Plan, (1981), 33, 64 and 269.)

Listing NGR: SU1341939741

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Franklin, J, The Gentlemans Country House and its Plan 1835-1914, (1981), 33 64 269
'Country Life' in 29 September, (1906)
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 1, (1908), 7 57-59

National Grid Reference: SU 13401 39731

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:42:56.

End of official listing