THE TEMPLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131225

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: THE TEMPLE, CRAVENGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TEMPLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 18:46:42.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TEMPLE, CRAVENGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Richmond

National Grid Reference: NZ 16712 00737

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. CRAVENGATE 1549 The Temple

NZ 1600 5/62 1.8.52.

II*

2. Circa 1746. Otherwise known as the Culloden Tower, built to commemorate that battle on the site of an earlier pele tower, of which the rectangular base in rubble may be part. This now forms an undercroft, used as a barn, with a cellar below. Above is a two-storeyed tower in ashlar, octagonal, and joined to the rectangular base by broaches. Pointed windows to alternate faces of the second storey and a blind arcade of three moulded pointed arches to each face between the storeys, which are also divided by bands. The top storey has alternate blind and windowed openings and a parapet of a kind of strap-work with crocketed pinnacles at the angles. These are mostly damaged, but otherwise the building is in a remarkably good state of repair. A stair turret with a small domed cap is at the South-West corner, ornamented similarly to the tower. The interior has two rooms, one to each storey, with a wealth of moulded wood ornament combining Gothic decoration with some classical details. The windows, and cupboards corresponding with them in the blank walls between, have ogee crocketed heads and labels, and the doorcases and fireplaces have panels of ornament above with a similar finish. The mantelpieces, however, have friezes and cornices, and a central mask, in elaborate carved wood. The dado-rails are of key pattern, the skirting and frieze of moulded. The ceilings are domed, with Gothic ribs with cusping. Entrance door has good stone case with flat pilasters with acanthus capitals and a shaped pediment with a cartouche of arms.

Listing NGR: NZ1671200737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322932

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing