Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131488.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 04:43:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Richmondshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 24012 97977


CATTERICK HIGH GREEN SE 29 NW (south side, off) 8/26 Church of Saint Anne 4.2.69 GV I

Church. 1412, with later C15 and C19 alterations. By Richard de Crakehall, master mason, for Katherine de Burgh and William, her son. Coursed sandstone, Westmorland slate roof. Perpendicular style. West tower, 4-bay nave with aisles and south porch, 3-bay chancel with side chapels and north vestry with heating chamber below. Windows have straight-sided pointed arches and hollow-chamfered surrounds. Tower: 3 stages. Stair turret with light vents in south-east corner. 3-light west window. Light vents to west and south sides of ringing chamber with clock. 2-light belfry openings. Crenellated parapet with corner finials. Nave: south porch: continuously- moulded pointed-arched doorway. Coats of arms of Aske, de Burgh and Lascelles families. Sundial in gable. Stone benches inside and small stoup. Inner doorway: continuously-moulded pointed arch, label with weathered heads. South aisle: bays divided by shallow stepped buttresses. 2-light windows with cinque-cusping, and labels. Blind parapet. Clerestory, added C19, has paired quatrefoils. North aisle: small north doorway with ovolo on chamfer and label, one C19 window and 1 original window. Cinque-cusped square-headed single-light window to west end of each aisle. Chancel: south aisle: continuously-moulded pointed-arched priests' doorway with label, 2-light windows, 3-light east window. Chancel east window of 5 lights under label with head stops. Above, C19 oculus with 3 lights. North chapel: of later C15; two 3-light square-headed north windows. Interior: arcades with octagonal columns on square chamfered broached bases with Perpendicular capitals, and 2 orders of arches, the outer one hollow chamfered, the inner one chamfered. Matching chancel arch. Arch from chancel to south chapel of 2 orders, one chamfered. Arch from chancel to north chapel of 3 chamfered orders. Straight-sided tower arch, without responds, of 3 chamfered orders, the innermost one hollow. Vaulted ringing chamber. Piscina in south aisle; 2 ogee niches in north aisle. Chancel: 3-seat sedilia with ogee canopies, crockets and finials. Vestry doorway: pointed arch with ovolo on arris and label. Wall monuments in chancel to Rev Michael Syddal, Vicar of Catterick d1658, who founded the village school and almshouse; Charles Anthony, 1600-85; Richard Braithwaite, court poet to James I, d1673. Floor slab in sanctuary to Roger Croft, d1684. Wall brasses in north chapel, built as a chantry of Saint James, to the founder, William de Burgh d1492 and wife Elizabeth; floor brasses to William de Burgh d1442, the builder of the church, and his son William d1462. C15 7-light wooden screen. South chapel: floor slab to Alice d1659 wife of Christopher Wandesford, Lord Deputy of Ireland. Nave: south aisle: reset effigy of Sir Walter Urswick, Constable of Richmond Castle in 1371, in segmental-arched moulded canopy; C15 wooden screen of 6 trefoiled lights. North aisle: wall monuments to de Burgh and their successor family of Lawson; also Lawson family hatchments. Black marble octagonal font, with monogram of founder, William de Burgh, arms of de Burgh, D'Arcy, Fitzhugh, Scrope and Neville families, and inscription on stem "CLAR FON" (clear fountain). Parish chest at west end. Royal coat of arms dated 1769 over tower arch.

Listing NGR: SE2401297976


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09970/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].