KNEETON HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131571

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: KNEETON HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING TO NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of KNEETON HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 18:05:28.

Location

Statutory Address: KNEETON HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING TO NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Middleton Tyas

National Grid Reference: NZ 21368 06879

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON TYAS KNEETON NZ 20 NW

2/58 Kneeton Hall and attached outbuilding to north 19.2.51 & 4.2.69 [Formerly listed as Kneeton Hall and outbuilding on north of Kneeton Hall separately] - II

Farmhouse and attached outbuilding. Late C16, C17 and early C18. Rubble with ashlar dressings, pantile roof. 2 storeys with attics, 5-bay main range with rear wing and cross wing to left, and 2-bay outbuilding to right. Main range, north elevation: quoins to right. Central 4-panel door below overlight in architrave with bases and moulding behind outer edge, pulvinated frieze and cornice. 4-pane sash windows in architraves. Shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to right. Ashlar end stacks. To right, outbuilding of 2 lower storeys. Ground floor, from left: C20 metal garage door in quoined coach-house doorway with ashlar segmental-pointed arch; board door in architrave with torus and scotia moulding on bases; 2 first- floor shuttered openings with chamfered surrounds, formerly mullioned and stanchioned. Shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to right. To left, gabled cross wing projecting forward: quoins. 3-light mullion window on ground floor; 3-light mullion and transom window on first floor; 3-light mullion window in gable, all chamfered. Kneelers, moulded coping to gable. To left, added roughcast 2-storey lean-to with, in gable end, ex-situ door-head with weathered lettering on chamfer, probably dated 1597. Large external stack in centre of left return of cross wing rises up through lean-to roof. Right return of cross wing: board door in chamfered surround. Rear, south elevation of rear wing: quoins. Ground floor, from left: double-chamfered surround of 2-light mullion window (mullion missing); 6-panel door in chamfered surround; two 4-pane sash windows in architraves; blocked double- chamfered cross window. First floor: 4-pane sash window in architrave at landing level; 2 chamfered cross windows, the third blocked. Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping. To left, set back, rear of main range: quoins to left. Blocked surrounds of single-light windows on first and second floors. To right, set back, rear of cross wing: quoins to right. 3-light mullion window on ground floor; 3-light mullion and transom window on first floor; blocked 3-light mullion window in gable, all chamfered; moulded coping and remains of finial. Left return of rear wing: blocked 2-light chamfered mullion window in gable. Right return of rear wing: 2-light mullion window on ground floor; blocked cross window on fist floor; blocked 2-light mullion window in gable, all chamfered. Interior: panelled shutters to C18 windows. In rear wing, C18 staircase with turned balusters of octagonal columns tapering downwards to vases. A plain square-headed doorway dated AD 1597, with illegible letters and the date 1616 above the door-head is mentioned in VCH i, p192.

Listing NGR: NZ2136806879

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322124

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 192

End of official listing