THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131911

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 21-May-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131911 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:45:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

National Grid Reference: NZ1824305112

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 1805-1905 GILLING WITH HARTFORTH AND SEDBURY 14/116 4.2.69

HIGH STREET (west side) Gilling West The Old Vicarage (formerly listed as The Vicarage)

GV II

Vicarage, now house. c1807. For William Hall. Coursed rubble, artificial stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Plinth. Quoins. Central 6-panel door below fanlight with decorative glazing bars in ashlar doorcase within Tuscan distyle portico of 2 columns in front, 2 pilasters behind, supporting cornice with blocking course. Sash windows with glazing bars, stone lintels and raised sills. Ashlar coping. A broad ridge stack towards each end. Rear (south): as the front, but with central part-glazed 6-panel door in architrave with ashlar surround, frieze and pediment. Interior: cantilevered stone open well staircase with moulded nosing and wreathed handrail. This was the church's first vicarage. It is said to have been built by Hall (who took the name Wharton) in 1807 when he married Charlotte Dundas of the neighbouring estate at Aske in order to please his future father-in-law. Extensive servants' quarters at the west end were mostly demolished in 1967. Laybourn K, Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, North Yorkshire, (1979), pp 7, 8, 12, 14.

Listing NGR: NZ1824305112

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323330

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laybourn, K , Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, (1979), 7-14

End of official listing