CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131912

Date first listed: 21-May-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131912 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:15:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

National Grid Reference: NZ 18293 05129

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH HIGH STREET NZ 1805-1905 AND SEDBURY (west side) Gilling West 14/117 Churchyard gates and gate piers

GV II

Gates and gate piers. Gates: c1807, wrought iron. Gate piers: late C17 - early C18, ashlar sandstone. For William Hall/Wharton. 3 gate piers, chamfered rusticated quoined, with chamfered bases, moulded cornices and ogee caps. The piers flank a single and a pair of double gates, which have spear finials to plain bars and diagonal braces to lower sections. The piers are thought to have come from the site of old Gillingwood Hall, the seat of the Wharton family, which burnt down in 1750. The gateway enclosed the grounds of the Vicarage, formerly a common open space and Kirk Street. Laybourn K, Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, North Yorkshire, (1979), pp 7, 8, 12, 14.

Listing NGR: NZ1829205129

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323331

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laybourn, K , Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, (1979), 7 - 14

End of official listing