This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

List entry Number: 1132072

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Healey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 325017

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEALEY

1159/2/28 MAIN STREET 06-JUL-04 (North side) CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

II* Church. 1848 by E B Lamb. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Nave with south porch, central tower with transepts, chancel. Decorated style. Nave: 3 bays. Plinth. Offset diagonal buttress at west end, offset angle buttresses divide bays, all with pinnacles. 2- light pointed-arch cusped windows with hood-moulds. West bay has gabled porch with chamfered pointed-arched doorway with hood-mould. Chamfered coping and hood-mould. Parapet with chamfered coping. Tower has offset angle buttresses and 2-light pointed-arch cusped windows, cornice, stone broach spire with 4 lucarnes. Transepts: offset angle buttresses, round chamfered window, band, parapet with chamfered coping, flat roofs. Chancel: 2 bays, similar to nave, but windows are single-light. Interior: crossing has 4 narrow tower arches; in the corners are heavy, gradually-projecting rusticated squinches lead up to tower, a second set higher up lead up to spire. Stone altar rail with trefoil cutouts and central cast iron gates, wooden pews with carved ends, choir stalls, pulpit and font, all by Lamb. Timber framed roof with decoratively carved scissor trusses. Stained glass window on north side commissioned by Lamb and bears his cypher and 1848 date, west window also probably by Lamb, east by Sir Robert Frankland-Russell.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 18294 80670

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:25:28.

End of official listing