LADYWELL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132095

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: LADYWELL COTTAGE, LINTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LADYWELL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 01:57:30.

Location

Statutory Address: LADYWELL COTTAGE, LINTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Threshfield

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 99785 63813

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THRESHFIELD LINTON ROAD SD 9863-9963 (east side) 9/106 Ladywell Cottage 10.9.54 GV II Small house. Early - mid C17. Gritstone rubble, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with attic, 2x1 bays. Quoins. Entrance into single-storey C20 range to left, not of special interest. West front: 4-light window with recessed chamfered straight-cut mullions to ground floor, a 3-and 2-light window to first floor with hollow mouldings to mullions, all have hoodmoulds. End stack left; weathered kneelers with gable coping to right. Rear: single-storey added range has C19 glazed door and a square chamfered window to left. Left return: slates indicate the wall line and pitch of an earlier range, now demolished. Right return: recessed chamfered mullion windows of 4, 3 and 2 lights, one to each floor; the first-floor window has a tall central light; all have hoodmoulds. Interior not inspected at resurvey. The house stands near the site of a spring known as Our Lady's Well, a few yards from the river. Water from it was said to strengthen weak eyes and remove evil spirits. The formerly adjoining steep-roofed building was probably cruck-built, and the existing bay added to it in the C17. A. Speight, Upper Wharfedale 1900, p444.

Listing NGR: SD9978563813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324863

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Upper Wharfedale, (1900), 444

End of official listing