NO 1 THE OLD POST OFFICE, AND 2 AND 3, MAIN STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1132098
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1989
Statutory Address:
2 AND 3, MAIN STREET
Statutory Address:
THE OLD POST OFFICE, 1, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO 1 THE OLD POST OFFICE, AND 2 AND 3, MAIN STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132098 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:27:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 AND 3, MAIN STREET
Statutory Address:
THE OLD POST OFFICE, 1, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Threshfield
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 98985 63554

Details

SD 9863-9963 9/111 THRESHFIELD MAIN STREET (east side) Nos. 1 (the Old Post Office), 2 and 3.

GV II Row of three houses. C17, No. 1 dated 1651, with mid C18 and late C19 alterations. Gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. two storeys, five first-floor windows. Quoins. The facade is divided down the centre by a row of quoins dividing the right-hand pair of houses (Nos. 2 and 3) from the left.

Left range: board door in narrow quoined opening with three-centred head and " W 1651 H" in raised letters. A three-light flat-faced mullion window to left on ground and first floors; a six-pane shop window built into a blocked quoined segmental-arched cart entrance and a four-pane sash left again to ground floor and two four-pane sashes above. Range to right: a mirrored pair of cottages with board doors in plain surrounds with large lintels to left and right, two three-light flat-faced mullion windows between, on each floor. Stone gutter brackets overall, four ridge stacks: to left of the mullion windows; in line with the division between Nos. 1 and 2; between Nos. 2 and 3; and to right gable. Interior not inspected at resurvey.

Nos. 2 and 3 were probably the C17 farmhouse, and No. 1 a barn and byre range, dated 1651 and possibly built by a member of the Hewitt or Hammond families, major landowners in Threshfield in the C17. The division of the property into three cottages in the C18 corresponds with the need for accommodation for miners from Grassington at that time.

Listing NGR: SD9898563554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324868
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Raistrick, A, Old Yorkshire Dales, (1967), 115

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09275/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Cardwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].