UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132612

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1997

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, WHITING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:53:24.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, WHITING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85311 63947

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NW WHITING STREET 639-1/15/735 (West side) 12/07/72 United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: WHITING STREET (West side) Congregational Church)

GV II

United Reformed Church, formerly the Congregational Church, originally built as an Independent Chapel. Late C17/early C18 core; interior reconstructed in 1804; enlarged 1869 and refronted. Render to sides and rear; white brick front with stone dressings. C20 tiled roofs, steeply pitched and hipped to the older part, with a gabled projection on the east linking with the C19 front. EXTERIOR: the south side has a 2-storey range of 3 cross windows, all with diamond leaded panes. The east front is in a Victorian early Perpendicular style, the centre nave gabled, with a carved finial at the apex and stepped and gabled buttresses, the sides with a plain parapet and string course. A large 4-light central window has curvilinear tracery and is flanked by 2 tiers of 2-light windows in the aisles, the upper windows with arched heads and cusped tracery, the lower in the same Tudor style as the adjacent Sunday School building (qv) with flat arches and hood-moulds. Below the central window the wide entrance doorway with a 4-centred arch has moulded spandrels with circular trefoil cusping. Boarded double door with ornate wrought-iron hinges. INTERIOR: galleried on all 4 sides, the fronts moulded, with sunk panels; supported on cast-iron columns. At the west end, a typical arrangement with the organ at the back of the gallery, which is embellished by an upper arcade of 3 semicircular arches supported by square panelled columns; decorative plasterwork in the intermediate spandrels. The central pulpit is approached by stairs on each side.



Listing NGR: TL8531163947

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467869

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing