4, WALSEKER LANE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132671

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: 4, WALSEKER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4, WALSEKER LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 16:01:46.

Location

Statutory Address: 4, WALSEKER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Harthill with Woodall

National Grid Reference: SK 48287 80763

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTHILL WITH WOODALL WALSEKER LANE SK48SE (east side), Woodall 4/42 No 4

II*

Farmhouse, part now outhouse. Late medieval Core encased C17/C18, altered. Some internal timber framing, squared and rubble sandstone, pantile roof. 2 storeys, 1:4 bays, left bay lower and with rear outshut; 4-bay part being the original timber-framed house. Large quoins to rubblework of bay 1, low eaves. Left part of 4-bay range has part-glazed door flanked by casements on each floor; wall-post positions indicated by breaks in masonry. Right part of range, now an outhouse, has 2 doorways flanking a slatted casement; loft hatch over right door. Roof hipped at right end. Brick end stack at junction of roofs, brick ridge stack on right. Interior: timber-framed part has C17 axial ceiling beams to left-end bay with both front and rear wall posts surviving on right. Adjacent bay has front wall post, all others are removed. Of particular interest is the roof of crown-post form with a decorated open truss above what was a central open hall of 2 unequal bays. This truss has a double-chamfered tie-beam soffit with outer chamfer continuous down the surviving front wall post; broach-stop- chamfered crown post with curved braces down to the tie and up to the collar; curved braces to the collar purlin. Adjacent closed truss on right retains some curved-strut infill. Embedded trusses survive over the present house- part, whilst only the tie beam remains at right end of range. A Manor is not recorded at Woodall although the name appears in medieval documents as a surname eg. a grant of 1321, by William Son of Adam de Wodehall. Nearby field names of 'Hall Leys' and 'Hall Ings' shown on the 1844 tithe map together with the obvious calibre of the surviving fabric indicate that this house is likely to be of manorial status. The survival of a late medieval crown-post roof, particularly in a rural setting, is of major importance in this region. Full survey report filed elsewhere. P. F. Ryder, Notes in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield Primary Index No 1470.

Listing NGR: SK4828780763

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335790

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing