Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FENNY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 20:01:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 17740 15206


FENNY LANE 1. 5113 (South Side) Almondbury SE 1715 40/17 Fenny Hall 3.3.52. II* 2. 1605, 1617, 1660, 1792, early to mid C19, and mid to late C19. Entrance is in early to mid C19 part. Hammer-dressed stone. Hipped stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Moulded eaves cornice. Continuous sill bands. 5 ranges of sashes, central 3 in wide canted bay. Door with moulded panels and fanlight, in moulded frame with fluted frieze and pediment up flight of steps with mid C19 cast iron railings. To west of this is the 1660 range, refronted with stucco in 1792 (parapet inscribed "B N 1792"): gabled with 2 storeys at west end, tripartite stone mullioned sash on 1st floor, French casements with marginal glazing bars on ground floor, side lights and fanlight, verandah on elaborate mid C19 cast iron piers. The mid to late C19 part to east and north-east is of no special interest. Courtyard at rear entered through a gateway (probably late C17) with rusticated ashlar jambs and a crude semi-circular trophy above, inscribed "W F INTRET FIDES". Excluding the mid to late C19 wing (which appears to make use of re-used sashes with glazing bars on ground floor, and re-used bargeboards on 1st floor), there are 4 gables. The 2 to east are timber-framed and probably date from 1605 (or earlier). Their ground floor is masked by a stone lean-to extension (C17 or early C18) with 2 C18 tripartite sashes with glazing bars set in partly chamfered reveals; and door with depressed arched head and chamfered reveals, leading to porch in antis with flanking benches and studded planked door. Both gables have bressummers with foliage moulding on east one, vine moulding on west one. Elaborate cut barge-boards and moulded finials. Both have oblong bay windows with casements and leaded quarries below the bressummers. East one has console-shaped brackets to bressummer and short studs connecting it to a subsidiary tie-beam: the spaces between the timbers are filled with black and white abstract patterns. Above the tie-beam (and above the bressummer on the west one) the studs run parallel to the rafters. On the west gable the studs run perpendicular to the rafters below bressummer. West bressummer inscribed "N F". The 2 gables further west are presumably of 1660, project forward and are built of hammer-dressed. The eastern one is masked by a parapet, has one range of sashes with glazing bars and an C18 lead down pipe diagonally across it, with a gadrooned rainwaterhead in the re-entrant angle. The west one has one bipartite window with glazing bars on 1st floor, one 6-light stone mullioned window with hollow chamfered surround on ground floor, and one late C19 window. Both of these 2 gables have stone finials. Interior: Drawing room of 1660 appears to be cruck-framed. Modillion cornice runs all way round skirting cruck blades. C20 panelling, but above fireplace is an achievement of arms dated 1660. Fine contemporary plaster ceiling with large star-shaped moulding. Butler's room has early C18 panelling and timber- framed wall above is taken on monolithic Tuscan columns.

Listing NGR: SE1774015206


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].