HOYLE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134425

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: HOYLE HOUSE, 1, 2, 3 AND 4, WATER HILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOYLE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 09:38:25.

Location

Statutory Address: HOYLE HOUSE, 1, 2, 3 AND 4, WATER HILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 05337 24382

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/10/2014

SE 0424 & SE 0524 9/292

SOWERBY BRIDGE, Friendly, WATER HILL LANE (west side, off), Nos 1,2,3 and 4 Hoyle House

GV II

Farmhouse, now 4 dwellings. Early C17 for John Ramsden (Sutcliffe, p35), subdivided C19, part rebuilt 1885 for Mrs M Leigh. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 2 left bays rebuilt 1885 (originally gabled), the 3 right bays gabled with rear range and the 2 right-hand-most ones projecting forward. Double-chamfered mullion windows throughout. The 2 left bays, No 1: C20 door in quoined surround with segmental-arched overlight and lintel dated "18 ML 85"; to either side on each floor a transomed 4-light window; ground-floor dripmould with decorative stops, right one possibly C17 and reused; shaped gutter brackets; shaped kneelers with finials; coping; end stacks. C17 part: No 2, on left, has door in added porch to right of transomed 5-light window with probably 3-light window above (ivy-covered). No 3, in centre, has C19 door to left of transomed 5-light window with 4-light window above under hoodmould. No 4, on right, has transomed 5-light window with square light to left and 4-light window above under hoodmould. The 2 right bays have continuous ground-floor hoodmould, valley gutter spout with rams- head (Ramsden symbol), shaped kneelers, coping and finials. Corniced stack between right-hand bays; truncated external stack to right. Rear: C17 part: 3 bays, outer bays gabled. Left bay has shouldered external gable stack, central bay a 4-light and a 2-light, now 1-light, window to 1st floor. Right return: hoodmould returns as string; on left of external stack a blocked Tudor-arched doorway and a C19 door- way with short 2-light, now 1-light, window above; to right of stack a C19 doorway and a 5-light window to each floor. Interior of No 3: 1 low, chamfered, Tudor- arched fireplace with a chamfered, quoined, Tudor-arched doorway to its left and quoins in wall to left of this possibly indicating that the rear range is an addition. The wall opposite also has a quoined angle, and a wall plate with part of panelled partition wall surviving. Between front and rear rooms is a plank and muntin partition wall, the stiles and rails with grooved decoration and a door on the right with 2 decorated arched panels and a lintel with incised cross. Chamfered spine beams. On 1st floor more panelling with grooved stiles (inserted); in the roof of the rear range 2 king-post trusses with V-struts and wind braces; a similar truss in the front roof. A datestone removed from the ground-floor fire- place of No 2 and reset in its front wall reads '17 IN 37', the initials being those of Isaac Naylor who came into possession c1731, his father, Anthony having acquired the property in 1720 (Sutcliffe p36).

T Sutcliffe, 'Some Old Warley Houses; Halifax Antiquarian Society, 9th April 1918, pp 33.



Listing NGR: SE0533724382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339430

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society' in Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society: 9 April, (1918), 33

End of official listing