5 AND 6, ST MARYS SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135169

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: 5 AND 6, ST MARYS SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5 AND 6, ST MARYS SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 15:41:48.

Location

Statutory Address: 5 AND 6, ST MARYS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85791 63824

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NE ST MARY'S SQUARE 639-1/11/625 (East side) 07/08/52 Nos.5 AND 6

GV II*

House. Early C16, altered and enlarged in the early C18. Further enlarged and divided into 2 in the early C19, probably by Francis Sandys who owned the building from 1803 to at least 1816. Timber-framed, faced in dark grey brick with red brick sides and dressings and chamfered rusticated quoins. A C20 flat roof, above 2 gabled ranges set parallel to the street, is concealed behind a plain rebuilt brick parapet. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 9 window range, arranged 2: 5: 2 with the centre breaking forward slightly: 12-pane sashes to the 1st storey and 6-pane to the 2nd storey; no glazing bars on the ground storey: all in plain reveals with flat gauged arches and surrounds in red brick. The middle window in the central section had slight alterations to the surrounding brickwork when an entrance door was removed. A moulded and dentilled cornice below the parapet. Matching slightly recessed 6-panel early C19 entrance doors are set at each end of the projecting centre: moulded architraves and rectangular fanlights with vertical glazing-bars; modillion cornice hoods on console brackets. To the north of No.5 and set back slightly is a large 2-storey red brick extension with a range of 3 small-paned sash windows along the east side: this was added by Francis Sandys, architect of The Rotunda at Ickworth, who owned the houses in the early C19. INTERIOR: both houses have cellars, mainly brick-lined with C19 wine bins, but No.6 has stone blocks along the main beam and joists on edge. The centre of the building contains the original early C16 timber-framed house now irregularly divided between the 2 properties. In 3 bays, jettied along the front and originally divided into 2 rooms with the partition wall now removed. The 2 northern bays, now mainly within No.5, have a fine timber ceiling on the ground storey with double ogee-mouldings to the main beam and joists. An early C17 brick fireplace with original mortar joints has a rounded back and a cambered timber lintel. The adjoining bay to the south, within No.6, has plain heavy joists. In the early C18 a 2-bay extension was added at each side of this centre and a 2nd storey was added: panelled ground storey rooms, No.6 with a corner fireplace. In No.5: an early C16 rear wing has a main beam with double ogee-mould and intricate



leaf stops. The early C19 stair has stick balusters, open strings and ramped handrails. One front upper room has reused Jacobean panelling and a bolection-moulded fireplace surround. Within the roof the bressumer of the former jetty, with double ogee-moulding and housings for studs, has been reused as a purlin. The early C19 wing contains a large panelled upper ballroom or music room: the moulded plaster cornice has acanthus-leaf decoration. In No.6: a fine early C18 dog-leg stair at the rear rises through 2 storeys: barley-sugar twist balusters, closed strings, moulded handrail and panelled dado. Panelled internal shutters to all windows. One small panelled upper room with raised fielded panels and 4-panel doors. The front 2nd-storey room has a dado of reused Jacobean panelling.



Listing NGR: TL8579163824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467357

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing