CAUSEWAY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135201

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: CAUSEWAY HOUSE, CAUSEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAUSEWAY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135201 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 00:40:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CAUSEWAY HOUSE, CAUSEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SY 66151 81397

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6681SW CAUSEWAY, Radipole 873-1/11/490 (North side (off)) 12/12/53 Causeway House (Formerly Listed as: WEST END, Radipole Causeway House)

II

Detached house, formerly farmhouse. Late C17 origins, extended and altered 1804, entrance relocated, and some alterations, 1961. Squared coursed rubble with dressed quoins to the main front, rubble elsewhere; slate roof, with 3 eaves courses of stone slate to the W. PLAN: gabled range of C17 or earlier to which a second parallel range was added in 1804, to a central valley; lower range of outbuildings, later incorporated into the house, extends to the N. The house is approached on the E side by a lane, probably the original road, off the Causeway, which runs round behind it, forming an 'island' site. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, the symmetrical E front has 2 windows; broad 12-pane sash flat dormers above tripartite 4:12:4-pane sashes to yellow brick segmental heads and wood sills at ground and first floors. The central doorway has a moulded arched surround with keystone and plain tympanum over a 12-pane sash and a panel, replacing the door, in pilasters. Above the door is a worn flush stone plaque inscribed 'THB (Buckler), 1804' (the date practically erased by weathering), and a fire insurance plaque. To the right is the 1-storey set-back wing, which includes an early plank door under a set-back covered area. The plain gables have 4 stacks. The S gable end has an early flush 6-panel door in deep lined reveals, and with a flat canopy on bold carved brackets, under a small 2-light window; this work is from 1961, when the doorway was relocated. The W front, the earlier range, has a large 24-pane staircase sash, flanked to the left by an early 4-light casement, with a later 3-light to the right. Near the left-hand end, at mid height, is a blocked square opening with chamfered stone surround, possibly indicating an early staircase position. At the ground floor are inserted door and lights to the low wing, two 3-light casements, and a former door opening, filled with concrete block and a small light, in the main range. INTERIOR: inspected at the ground floor only. The C18 staircase has been removed, and a 1961 stick stair inserted



nearer the S end of the W range; there is no evidence of early fabric. (RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 364).



Listing NGR: SY6615181397

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467312

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 364

End of official listing