This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BARRACKS PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BARRACKS PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1135429

Location

THE BARRACKS PUBLIC HOUSE, WAKEFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342703

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 42 SW WAKEFIELD ROAD (North East side)

1282-012/64 The Barracks Public House

15.11.88 II

Armoury, guard house and store, now public house. 1878, designed at the War Office by Major HC Seddon PE; extended at rear mid C20. Brick with black brick dressings and flat ashlar roof Fortress Gothic Revival style. Square plan with corner stair towers to front and central rear. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 4-storey tower; 3:6:3-window range. Battered plinth, black bands to cills and heads, cornice and crenellated parapet; segmental-arched heads to metal-framed windows. Towers have sunken panels beneath pseudo-machicolations and a cornice, with taller top section with raised corners; rear corners raised, and rear C20 tower with plain top. INTERIOR: Has a fireproof interior of cast-iron columns to jack arches, and winder stairs. HISTORY: The Keep was a secure armoury, store, and lock-up, and was the characteristic building of the Localisation depots. They were part of the Cardwell reforms, which redistributed barracks around the country to encourage local connections and assist recruitment. With the matching example at Bury St Edmunds, one of only ten surviving examples of this important symbolic building. (Watson Colonel Sir H M: History of the Corps of Royal Engineers: Chatham: 1954-: 157-160).



Listing NGR: SE4459621202

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Watson, H M, History of the Corps of Royal Engineers, (1954), 157-160

National Grid Reference: SE 44596 21202

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 03:07:41.

End of official listing