ACKWORTH GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135478

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: ACKWORTH GRANGE, RIGG LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ACKWORTH GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 10:04:58.

Location

Statutory Address: ACKWORTH GRANGE, RIGG LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Ackworth

National Grid Reference: SE 46010 17469

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACKWORTH RIGG LANE SE41NE (north side, off) 3/29 Ackworth Grange 25.3.1968 GV II

House. Late C18 or early C19, on earlier site. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, with full-height bows flanking the centre; central round-headed doorway with double doors, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and pedimented Tuscan doorcase with mutules to the pediment; above this, a 12-pane sashed window; the flanking bows have tripartite sashed windows on both floors, with flat- faced mullions, 12-pane sashes in the centre and 8-pane sashes at the sides; modillioned cornice and low blocking course; low-pitched hipped roof and side-wall chimneys. Left return wall has 2 windows on each floor, all blind except the upper left, and cornice carried round. Larger service element to rear, earlier than front range and of 3 storeys to same height, and with same cornice continued, has, inter alia, a doorway and 2 windows with arched heads (probably early C19 alterations) and boxed sashed windows on all floors. Interior: fine cantilevered stone staircase, half-turned with landings, with scrolled soffits to the steps, iron balusters with foliated panels, and ramped handrail with wreathed curtail; 6-panel doors with reeded architraves.

History: known as "Briars Flatts" in late C18, acquired by Roman Catholic Tempest family of Broughton Hall nr. Skipton in 1836, and then known as Ackworth Grange; former Catholic chapel by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1842, demolished 1966. Reference: Kate Taylor, Wakefield District Heritage (Wakefield 1979) Vol II p.78.

Listing NGR: SE4601017469

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342629

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, K, Wakefield District Heritage, (1979), 78

End of official listing