Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:10:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29515 18368



9/2 Church of St. Peter and 15.2.66 St. Leonard.


Church. 1791-3. By John Carr at his own expense (£8,000). The vestry was added in 1884, and the rotunda and spire rebuilt 1899. The 1st World War commemorative south chapel was added in 1920. Ashlar. Grey slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave with octagonal ends and 3-bay north and south transept-like wings, vestry to north-east and chapel to south-east. In Classical style. The square tower is in 4 reducing stages: the 1st of smooth ashlar with round-arched and square windows, the 2nd rusticated with a central clock, the 3rd with round-arched bell-chamber openings and paired pilasters, the 4th similar with recessed-angle columns and surmounted by a colonnaded rotunda with a fluted, conical spire. The nave has tall, round- arched windows. The south wing has 4 Ionic columns supporting a dentilled pediment in the form of a giant portico. Central, 8-panel, double-door with pediment. Round-arched ground-floor windows, square windows at high level. The pediment and frieze are inscribed: HANC AEDEM SACRAH PIETATIS IN DEUM ET AMORIS IN SOLUM NATALE MONIMENTUM PROPRIIS SUMPTIBUS EXTRUXIT JOANNES CARR ARCHITECTUS ANNO CHRISTI MDCCXC1 GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS

The north wing is relatively plain with central entrance with architrave and pediment. The vestry has a round-arched entrance with a 6-panel door flanked by tapering pilasters supporting a frieze and cornice, above which is a pedimented tablet with scrolled support. The tablet is inscribed in capital letters: "THIS VESTRY IS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN COMMEMORATION OF THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE INSTITUTION OF THE REV. JOHN SHARP TO THE CURE OF THIS PARISH, AS A TOKEN OF THEIR AFFECTIONATE REGARD, BY THE PARISHIONERS AND OTHER FRIENDS. HORBURY NOVEMBER 16th 1884." Interior: bay divisions marked by giant, fluted Corinthian pilasters, with columns to the 'transepts'. Tuscan columns support a west gallery, with a wooden panelled front, which contains the organ. The shallow-vaulted ceiling has elaborate frieze, is panelled and terminates in a shallow segmental coving over the segmental-apse ends. Door and window openings are elaborately treated. Octagonal panelled pulpit with tester, is dated 1917 and was erected in memory of Richard and Martha Ann Popplewell d. 1904 and 1914 by their children. Green/brown marble communion rail. Straight-backed panelled pews with rounded ends. Panelled dado. White marble tablet in north transept to Harriet Elizabeth Carr, d. March 12th 1841, an allegorical kneeling woman by an urn, signed T. Tilney of York. A marble tablet on the north wall, east end to Robert Carr, Architect, d.December 3rd MDCCLX, also Rosa Carr d.MDCCLXXIV. A marble tablet on the south wall, east end, to Johannis Carr the architect d.7th March MDCCVII. The stained glass is mainly post World War I. The church is on the site of a Norman church of c.1100 and probably a Saxon church before that. An important and prominant landmark in the area. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967. D. Linstrum. West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, 1978. C. Cudworth. PhotooraDhs of Old Horbury, 1973.

Listing NGR: SE2951918372


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cudworth, C , Photographs of Old Horbury, (1973)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13121/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Robin Hodges. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].