BRAMHAM BIGGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1135632
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
BRAMHAM BIGGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRAMHAM BIGGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 00:57:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRAMHAM BIGGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Bramham cum Oglethorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 42243 42310

Details

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE BRAMHAM SE44SW LS23 1/22 Bramham Biggin 30.3.66 (Formerly listed as Bramham Biggin Bowcliffe Road)

II*

Large house. C17, altered 1750-56 by James Paine, for Allison. Mostly dressed magnesian limestone, with some coursed rubble, stone slate roof. H-plan. Two- and-a-half storeys, symmetrical; plinth, quoins, moulded dripcourses on 2 levels, carried round the whole; set-back centre has central double doors with architrave and consoles supporting a pediment which breaks the dripcourse, two 12-pane sashes at ground floor and 2 above, a Diocletian window at 2nd floor (all these with plain surrounds), a hoodmould to a former mullioned window in the gable, gable coping with kneelers and finial; C18 rainwater head in each angle, narrow diagonal stairlight on each floor of right-hand angle. Gable of each wing has one window on each floor: ground-floor Venetian window breaking the dripcourse, 12- and 9-pane windows above, those in the right wing sashed but those in the left all glazed but blocked internally by a chimney stack which rises to break through the gable coping off-centre; otherwise, each gable has a hoodmould like that in the centre, gable coping with kneelers, and finial (to right-hand gable). Most of these windows break the remains of former cross windows, and there are similar remains in both re-entrant walls. Return wall of left wing, 6 bays, has windows like those at front, but with single-storey semicircular bay windows to 1st and 4th, with parapet, 12-pane sashes in the 2nd and 3rd bays, and at 2nd floor a Diocletian window in the centre and a small sash in each outer bay. Rear: inter alia a cross window at 2nd floor of rear gable of right wing, suggesting original form of other fenestration before C18 alterations. Interior: altered, the present principal feature of interest being the 2-storey entrance hall with C18 staircase (open string, scrolled brackets, 2 slim turned balusters per tread, panelled newels and ramped handrail); and stone flagged floor. History: was used as school during C19, with additions (now demolished) and alterations. References: RCHM Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830 1986) p. 96. Derek Linstrum West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978) p.362.

Listing NGR: SE4224342310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342183
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Giles, C, Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830, (1986), 96
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 362

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08570/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].