CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135842

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STABLE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135842 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 19:57:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STABLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Utkinton

National Grid Reference: SJ 57125 65567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UTKINTON C.P. STABLE LANE SJ 56 NE (East Side) Cotebrook 6/32 Church of St John

GV II

Church: 1874-5 by G E Street. Tooled red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Red tile roof and pierced ridge. 4-bay nave under a steeply pitched roof, short chancel over a basement vestry and a small north-east tower. Small rectangular nave windows of 3 trefoil headed lights. Chancel has a sill band and 2 lancets over a basement with a door with a shaped Caernarvon arch and a 2-light chamfered mullioned window. East end is divided by a low buttress and has a triple lancet window with weak trefoil heads. Small rectangular tower in the angle between nave and chancel has buttresses to 1st storey. A band rises above the clock and above this are thin louvred lancet bell openings. Pyramidal cap with weathervane. West window has an interesting arrangement of 4 lancets with trefoil heads and a quatrefoil above. To left side is a chamfered and moulded 2-centred arched entrance to an internal porch with a simpler door. Interior: Nave contains the porch. Windows have splayed reveals and segmental heads. Arch-braced roof with cut wind-braced purlins. Chancel arch has a triple hollow chamfered moulding and the chancel is vaulted in brick with bands of stone. Memorial east window to Sir P de M G Egerton by Kempe 1882. C17 painting of the Adoration of the Magi over the altar. Octofoil font on cluster of 8 shafts.

Listing NGR: SJ5712565567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57458

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing