CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136442

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136442 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 17:27:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Whitchurch

National Grid Reference: ST 61223 67592

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 66 NW 2/211

WHITCHURCH, CHURCH ROAD (south side), Church of St. Nicholas

(Formerly listed under CHARLTON LANE)

1.2.56

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C12, altered C13 and early C14, and C15; restored C19. Consists of nave, north porch, south chapel incorporated in a south transept, south aisle and porch, north transept, crossing tower and chancel. Coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings, plain tiled roofs with coped raised verges. Unbuttressed central tower with dressed quoins, pyramidal roof set back behind plain parapet with gargoyles; plain 2-light pointed windows to the bell chamber. Nave. Two 2-light C19, Geometrical style windows. Projecting, gabled north porch with a pointed doorway in a hollow-step-ogee moulded surround and under a hoodmould. North Transept. Angle buttresses with off-sets, 3- light window with lower central light which has a quatrefoil above, all lights have cusped heads. Chancel. Plain and small lancet windows on north side, one restored; 3-light east window as north transept. South aisle. C15 3- light Perpendicular style east window under a 4-centred head. 2- and 3-light Perpendicular style windows with plain and cusped ogee heads, respectively, all under square dripmoulds. Projecting, gabled south porch in hollow-ogee moulded surround. West window of south aisle and nave are 3-light Perpendicular style windows. North doorway is C12 but restored, continuous chamfered and roll moulded surround; C15 arch-braced collar beam roof with embattled wall- plate to north porch. Interior. 3 bay arcade to south aisle, piers of alternating hollows and shafts which have circular caps, hollow-chamfered 4-centred arches. Late mediaeval wagon roofs to nave and south aisle, embattled wallplate. The tower arches are pointed and stepped, springing from corbels with long stems and trumpet capitals - a thick one to the main arch and a thin one to the outer order, those on the nave arch face out into the nave but the others face into the crossing. Chancel: deep embrasures to north and south windows (the south one looks into the chapel); east window and north transept window have fine colonettes attached to inside of the mullions, the outer order is enriched with leaf moulded capitals; C15 archway to south chapel, filled with carved wooden screen which has cusped and traceried panels, blank to the lower part and open above, with a rosette frieze. Archway from south aisle has continuous ogee-hollow-ogee moulded surround; Perpendicular style wooden screen with traceried and paired lower panels, enriched frieze, triple, open upper panels, enriched vine frieze and pierced parapet, the main uprights also have attached pinnacles. Monuments. South Chapel: 2 inscribed marble tablets to Holbeach family, by Lychyard of Keynsham, aedicular in panelled pilasters with trigylph frieze. Colston family, earliest date is 1739 but to 1847, with urn finials. Nave: Isaac Emery, died 1761, inscribed marble plaque with broken pediment. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6122367592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32636

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing