Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LAKE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136606.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 15:08:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 40565 69354



1066/5/30 COLEHOUSE LANE 11-OCT-61 (South side) LAKE FARMHOUSE


Farmhouse. Circa 1600, with minor C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Rendered stone rubble with dressed stone quoins and chamfered stone plinth. Pantile roof with raised stone coped verges and carved stone finials to gables. Gable-end and axial stacks with rebuilt brick shafts. PLAN: E-plan with projecting wings to left and right and porch at centre; the larger right-hand wing has been used as a cider-house, but originally it was part of the house accommodation. Small C18/19 outshuts at rear and small C19 single storey kitchen wing on rear north west corner. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 5-bay south front with gabled wings projecting left and right and gabled 2-storey porch at centre; larger wing on right has projecting gable-end stack; C19 2-, 3-, and 4-light casements with glazing bars; porch has plain cambered-head doorway with sundial above. Similar casements on left [W] return. Right-hand [E] return of large east wing has earlier re-used carved stone as quoin on south east corner and on right an C18 3-light timber window rebated for leaded glazing and an original early C17 deeply chamfered 3-light window frame above. At rear [N] C20 fenestration, doorway on left with heavy timber frame [cut for barrel access] and old plank door with wrought-iron strap hinges, small outshuts and single storey wing on right. INTERIOR: Very little altered and with C18 and C19 joinery including plank and panelled doors. Kitchen to left [east] has stone flag floor, deeply chamfered beams with hollow step stops, C19 fireplace and panelled window seat; small unheated room in wing at front has similar ceiling beams. Former hall at centre has inserted partitions and C20 staircase. Parlour to right of entrance has moulded ceiling beams and fireplace in axial stack with chamfered stone jambs and elliptical stone arch. Stop-chamfered ceiling beams and cupboard with swan's neck hinges and carved frieze above on first floor. Roof structure intact with collar-trusses, two tiers of tenoned-purlins, diagonal ridgepiece and common-rafters intact. Right-hand [east] wing has similar roof structure, floor at front removed, large moulded stone Tudor arch fireplace on ground floor in front gable with smaller fireplace above, its chimneypiece missing; the back room has been used as a cider-house and has a stone flag floor, an early timber baulk straight staircase to the first floor and a chamfered timber door frame with carpenter's mitres, that has been enlarged for barrels to pass through. SOURCE: Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol; p.209. A remarkably unaltered substantial circa 1600 house.

Listing NGR: ST4056569354


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 209


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01133/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].