This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RIALTON MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RIALTON MANOR

List entry Number: 1137187

Location

RIALTON MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Colan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71019

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLAN SW 86 SW 5/14 Rialton Manor 10.2.67 GV II*

House; formerly belonging to Bodmin priory, later becoming a farmhouse. C15 origin ; enlarged and altered in early C16 for Prior Vyvyan of Bodmin; with later alterations of C18, C19 and C20. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof of C19, partly slurried, with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. Gable end stack to right and left with shaped granite tops; axial stack. Plan: Rialton Manor is the remains of a formerly much larger house, which would originally have had a front courtyard. The main range appears to consist of the hall and one room ; the hall is to right, heated from a gable end stack to right; it was originally heated from an open hearth. The through passage, with the rear door blocked, has a solid masonry wall to left, with an inserted fireplace (the axial stack) and no partition remaining on the right-hand side. There is one room to left, heated from a gable end stack. The stacks were probably inserted at the time of the major alterations of the early C16. A wide 2-storey porch was added to the front of the passage, with a stone vaulted entrance and a small store room to right ; to left is a closet which may be the site of a stair tower. At first floor, a chamber was created in the centre of the house partly over the hall and including the front bay. Probably in C18, a one-room plan addition was made to the right end, as a kitchen, with gable end stack with oven. The house may formerly have extended further at the left end, where the masonry is stepped back at first floor level ; the left end room does not appear to be large enough for a lower end room servicing a large hall. There is an enclosed courtyard to the front of the house. Exterior: Asymmetrical 2-storey front, with-a 2-storey porch tower set off-centre to left, with hollow-moulded cornice and embattled parapet. The porch tower has 4- centred arched doorway, with Pevsner A-type piers and relieving arch, C20 double doors. The interior of the porch has stone vaulted roof with moulded ribs and convex-moulded wall plate, slate paved floor. This was formerly used as a dairy, when the house was a farmhouse. At first floor there are three 3-light mullion and transom windows, with 3-centred arched lights above the transoms; between the two windows to left is a wide mullion with two vertical panels with blind cusped arches the wide mullion to right is similar with only one vertical panel. Lattice glazing with iron stanchions of early C16. Below the window to left is a stone quatrefoil, originally lighting the stair. The right side of the porch tower has a 2-centred arched hollow-chamfered doorway with C20 door, leading to the store room which has only external access. To left of the porch, there is a C20 2-light casement at ground and first floor, both with hollow-chamfered granite jambs and C19 segmental arch. To left, C20 glazed door. To right of the porch there are two 2-light casements at ground and first floor, with segmental arches. The end addition to right has C20 2-light casement at first floor and C20 inserted door at ground floor. The left gable end has the masonry stepped back at first floor level, with granite quoins only at ground floor level. The right gable end has external stepped stack with oven at the base; C20 2-light window with segmental arch at ground floor. At the rear, all windows are C20; straight joint to the addition to left. 3 windows at first floor and 3 at ground floor, all 2-light casements, with segmental arches. Second from left and second from right a C20 glazed door. At first floor, the window to right has granite roll-moulded recessed surround, with the stooling for a mullion, formerly a 2-light window. The addition to left has 2-light casement at ground and first floor. Interior: The passage and room to right are now all one room, with C20 stair inserted. The ceiling has three heavy moulded beams with roll-mouldings. The fireplace is inserted, with a stone surround removed from the courtyard, with carved inscription: Edward and St Petroc. The room to left is at lower floor level and has three chamfered beams. Fireplace with granite basket arch and recessed spandrels, removed from the first floor room to left. Deep splayed reveals to the window. The doorway to the stair tower (now a closet) is narrow, with wooden chamfered surround and 4-centred arch. At first floor to right, 4 bays of the wagon roof over the hall survive, with carved ribs and wall-plate and carved bosses, with cross braces between the ribs. Painted in C20. There is a stud partition to the front first floor chamber. This room has a wooden chamfered doorway with 4-centred arch to the former stair at the front. In the front bay window there is stained glass of the early C16, a shield with arms, 3 fishes, and initials. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Rowse, A.L.: Rialton, near Newquay: A Cornish Monastic Manor, Country Life, September 26, 1941. Excursions through Cornwall, 1823, contains an engraving of Rialton, by J. Greig after a drawing by F.W.L. Stockdale, showing the inner courtyard with a wing extending to front left and right.

Listing NGR: SW8476762233

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Excursions through Cornwall, (1823)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in 26 September, (1941)

National Grid Reference: SW 84767 62233

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137187 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:07:16.

End of official listing