Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137349 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 13:46:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 43131 65416


YATTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD (south side) ST 46 NW 5/147 Church of St. Mary G.V. I 11.10.61 Parish church. Late C13, nave, aisles and chancel remodelled C15 with later C15 south porch and chancel chapel; extensive restoration 1872 by G. Street (box pews and west gallery removed) and late C20 chapter house. Dundry stone, rubble with freestone dressings, nave, aisles, porch and chapel in coursed freestone, lead roofs. Nave, north and south aisles, south porch, north chapter house, crossing tower, north and south transept, chancel and north chancel chapel. Mostly Perpendicular style, some earlier work as in south window of south aisle. Nave has west elevation with large 6-light window with sub-arches, pointed arch, hood mould and angel stops, image niche above with seated figure, probably the Trinity, coped verge with fleurons and finial, window has moulded cill above pointed arched west door, surround of 3 hollow moulded orders, figure in niche in central order to each side, carved hood, finial and pinnacles to sides; 3-stage hexagonal turret left and right with string courses continued over heads of aisle windows, with lancets, cornice, pyramidal ribbed stone roofs, carved finial to north, missing to south, plinth. West elevation of each aisle has 4-light window, polygonal buttress to each side with similar top to stair turrets, pitched roofs with cornice and parapet with frieze of cusped triangles. North and south elevations of nave haves-bay clerestorey, all pointed arched 2-light windows with cusped lights and quatrefoil, hood mould and mask stops, turrets have small pointed arched door to aisle roof and upper door to nave roof behind similar parapet with crocketed pinnacles and gargoyles between bays. 5-bay north aisle has four 4-light windows with Y-tracery in upper sections, hood mould, weathered buttresses between with triangular shafts rising to crocketed pinnacles above similar parapet, large gargoyles, 3 fully remaining, 3 1/2 bays of parapet of C20 replacement; central bay has north door with pointed arch, fleurons on hollow-moulded surround, ogee hood with large finial and pinnacles, concealed by passage to C20 chapter house, door removed. South aisle as north, with fine carved demonic figure as gargoyle to west, scratch dial to west of porch; central bay has 2-storey south porch, highly decorated, 4-centred arched entrance, frieze of small leaves running up the jambs and along the arch, ogee gable with more foliage and naturalistic crockets, to left and right blank panelling sending up an ogee-curved crocketed feeler towards the gable, more panelling above; angel under parapet as on aisles, central image niche, lancets to west wall, clasping buttresses, scratch dial on south east buttress, gnomon missing, with figures 7, 8 and 9. Tower of 3 stages has diagonal weathered buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, south east hexagonal stair turret rising above parapet with panelled sides to top, open cusped parapet, tower has parapet with similar frieze, gargoyles, octagonal spire, truncated and ribbed with pinnacles above ribs, WH and IW in lead, weathercock of 1822, string courses; at 2nd stage all sides a single lancet and double lancet with Y-tracery under string course, 3rd stage has clock to east and 2-light cusped windows with pierced stone tracery. North transept has large north window of 5 lights, hood mould, stonework extended below window (tomb recesses inside) weathered angle buttresses, raised coped verges to gable with cross finial, parapet continued from aisle to west. South transept has 5-light south window with intersected tracery and 4 quatrefoiled circles above, hood mould with mask stops and relieving arch, buttresses to sides, upper east window of 3 cusped lights with flat head and hood mould, 4-centred arched door below. 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window with continuous hood mould, raised coped verges and cross finial, plinth, weathered angle buttresses and buttresses, one similar 2-light north window, 3 similar 2-light south windows, central one smaller with pointed arched priest's door below with moulded surround and hood mould. North chapel has pitched roof, 2 north windows, 4-centred arched, 3-light with fine upper tracery, hood moulds, similar parapet with gargoyles, north east octagonal angle turret with string course and cusped lancet, crocketed pinnacles, spire and finial; 4-light east window with pointed arch and continuous hood mould. Interior: nave has 10-bay wagon roof, demi-figures of angels on wall-plate, principals moulded and painted; to east, tall pointed C19 chancel arch, line of lower nave roof visible above and formerly external tower window (as on other sides); to west, window has 4-centred arched door with foliate hood and crocketed pinnacles to left and right at base (possibly access for former gallery); 5-bay pointed arched arcade to north and south, section of piers a Greek cross with concave quadrants in the diagonals, demi-shafts attached to the ends of the cross-arms, thin attached shafts set in the hollows, shafts have small capitals with bits of leaf, east responds have heads instead, north east capital with green man; demi-shafts on nave side rise to roof, through cill-course of clerestory, decorated with fleurons, and ending in little heads which carry the roof-principals. North and south aisles have 5-bay C19 ceiled roofs with moulded ribs and bosses, also wall-shafts with mask tops carrying depressed pointed trefoiled arches of wood with closely panelled tracery under wall-plate; nook-shafts to windows. North aisle has north door with pointed segmental head with fleurons, stone with quatrefoil piscina re-set in wall to right of door, north east window has remains of shaft and carved figure on cill, possibly from former rood support, pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders to north transept and stonework remaining at upper level, possibly remains of buttress to earlier nave. South aisle has west door to nave stair turret with 2 convex mouldings and pointed arch, south wall shaft curtailed above pointed arched door to parvise, moulded pointed arch to south transept. Porch has thin-ribbed lierne vault, carved bosses including a green man, paired shafts to corners, 4-centred arched door with fleuron frieze, image niche above. Tower rests on arches with 2-wave moulding, round shafts at corners supporting ribs of tierceron vault with C19 painted flowers. North transept has 3-bay wagon roof with moulded ridge purlin and one row of purlins, bosses, pointed arched chamfered west doorway, studded door with raised fillets, to former rood stair, squint to south east with cinquefoil head, north east image stand, pointed arch to chapel has hollow-moulded surround with cusped panels, slender shafts with leaf capitals and similar panelled soffit. South transept has similar roof, east door to tower, inner side of arch to tower has 2 broad wave and hollow mouldings, arch to aisle has 3 jamb shafts with leaf capitals. Chancel has 4-bay C19 wagon roof, brattished wall-plate, windows have moulded nook-shafts rising from lower cill, continuous hood mould and cill string on south wall, piscina to south, north wall has cill string and hood mould to window, 4-centred arched skew doorway to chapel, arch to chapel as between transept and chapel, outer shaft of arch continued through middle of squint, south priest's door has flat inner head. Chapel has framed ceiling in 9 panels of C19, stone angel corbels remaining from former roof, east window has tall elaborate image niche to left and right with clustered pinnacles to tops, pillar piscina to right, 4-centred arched north door to stair turret. Fittings: 2 carved oak figures of St. Peter and St. Paul in nave, in Baroque attitudes, made for the organ of Bath Abbey 1708; C19 stone octagonal font in south aisle; C18 panelled chest in north transept; 2 Jacobean sanctuary chairs in chancel. Mediaeval monuments in north transept (De Wyck Chapel) 2 effigies in recesses with broad cusped ogee gables, a knight and lady c.1325, possibly Sir Robert de Gyene and his wife Egelina de Wyck; alabaster monument to Sir Richard Newton, 1449 and his wife, 1475, good recumbent effigies on tomb chest with ogee niches filled by figures of angels carrying shields; in chapel, monument to Sir John Newton, 1488 and Isobel of Cheddar, 1498, recumbent effigies on tomb chest with quatrefoils in recess, broad buttresses and pinnacles left and right, low Tudor arch with openwork cusps, tracery in spandrels and crocketing, relief of the Annunciation on back wall, frieze of 10 niches for figures, half a figure left, upper fleuron frieze and cornice. In north transept, marble tablet to Edward Day, 1802; marble tablet to Henry Hawes, 1809, by Wood of Bristol; marble tablet to John Norman, 1837; marble tablet with pediment to Sarah Battiscombe, 1736; in south transept, marble tablet with draped urn, to John Cam, 1795; in north chapel, marble monument with broken pediment and shield, to Henry Grimsteed, 1714, by M. Sidnell of Bristol; marble monument with draped urn, to Hannah Markham, 1768; in chancel, marble monument to Thomas Wickham, 1829. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958. Peart, M.C. : History of Yatton Parish Church 1931. Keily, G. : Guide to the Parish Church of St. Mary The Virgin, Yatton 1982. Somerset Record Society, Proceedings, vol. IV, 1890, containing extracts from Yatton churchwardens' accounts, 1446-1602, full accounts in Somerset Record Office).

Listing NGR: ST4312965416


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Keily, G , Guide to the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, (1982)
Peart, M C , History of Latton Parish Church, (1931)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Record Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Record Society, , Vol. 4, (1890)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01408/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].