CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1137817
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137817.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:18:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eyeworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 24977 45596

Details

EYEWORTH TL 24NW 5/20 Church of All Saints 31.10.66 GV I Parish church. C14 and C15, reworked C20. Chancel partly ashlared clunch partly red brick. Elsewhere cobblestones with ashlar dressings. Chancel, nave, S aisle, W tower. Chancel: C15 rebuilding, C19 3-light E window. N and S elevations each have C15 square-headed 2-light window. S elevation also has 3-light segmental-headed window blocked by Anderson monument. C15 N doorway under square label with shield to spandrels. C14 chancel arch. Nave: C14. Pointed-arched 3-bay arcade to S. N elevation has C14 3-light window with C15 tracery. C14 pointed N doorway. Clerestory added C15. 3 2-light square-headed windows per side. S aisle: C14. C15 rood staircase to NE angle. E wall has 3-light pointed window. S elevation has 2 2-light windows. E one with square head, W one with pointed head. C14 pointed S doorway. W tower: C15. Spire and upper stages removed C20 after lightening damage. Now a single stage with gabled pantile roof. Set-back buttresses. Pointed-arched 2-light W window. Interior: Chancel roof retains some C15 work. C15 altar rails with turned balusters. Fragments of medieval glass to various windows. C15 octagonal font to S aisle. Chancel has monuments to Anderson family:

- SE to Sir Edmund Anderson, Lord Chief Justice of Court of Common Pleas. 1605. 2 recumbant alabaster effigies on altar tomb, kneeling figures of children below, canopy supported by Corinthian columns and surmounted by heraldic cresting.

- NE to Sir Francis Anderson, 1616. Alabaster, only partially intact. Kneeling figure of Sir Francis flanked by those of 2 wives. Kneeling figures of children below.

- SW wall monument to Edmund Anderson (son of Sir Edmund), wife and daughter. 1638. Half figures of Edmund and wife hold a heart and are surmounted by semi-circular arches. Above this is open segmental pediment with allegorical figures. Below is another open segmental pediment containing half figure of child holding a book and flanked by allegorical figures.

Chancel floor has brass with figures to Sir Richard Gadbury, 1624, and wife Margaret. Also floor slabs to Dame Mary Anderson, 1667; Alice Viscountess Verulam and Baroness of St Albans, 1656; Catherine Anderson, 1705; and others of Anderson family,

Listing NGR: TL2497745596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38392
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06253/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].