CALSTOCK VIADUCT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138329

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CALSTOCK VIADUCT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CALSTOCK VIADUCT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138329 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:27:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CALSTOCK VIADUCT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calstock

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Bere Ferrers

National Grid Reference: SX4335668641

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALSTOCK SX 4268-4368 9/64

CALSTOCK

Calstock Viaduct

3.1.68

GV

II*

Railway viaduct over the River Tamar. Completed March 1908; built as part of the Plymouth, Devonport and South West Junction Railway, which had bought the East Cornwall Mineral Railway in 1894. Precast concrete block, manufactured on site in the casting yard on the Devon side of the viaduct. The viaduct has twelve round arches, with rectangular plan tapered piers, in rusticated blocks, with rounded cutwaters. The arches have imposts and voussoirs, plain parapet and coping; stepped corbel between each pair of arches, forming refuges in the parapet.

Built by John Charles Lang, a public works contractor of Liskeard, with engineers W.R. Galbraith and Richard Church, as part of the link line from Bere Alston to the East Cornwall Mineral Railway in Calstock. There are similarities between this viaduct and the viaduct in Poundstock, Cornwall (see Poundstock list). During construction, the blocks and other components were transported across the length of the viaduct by means of Blondins, or aerial ropeways. Until 1934, there was a remarkable vertical hoist, which was used to raise the lower tram wagons between river bank level and the viaduct.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1105516. That entry was removed from the List on 23 September 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23 September 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60814

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
D.L.B. Thomas (verbal information)
Tamar Valley Project

End of official listing