LOWERHOUSE MILL PREMISES OF SLATER HARRISON LIMITED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1138987
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
LOWERHOUSE MILL, ALBERT ROAD
Statutory Address:
PREMISES OF SLATER HARRISON LIMITED, ALBERT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWERHOUSE MILL
PREMISES OF SLATER HARRISON LIMITED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 00:31:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOWERHOUSE MILL, ALBERT ROAD
Statutory Address:
PREMISES OF SLATER HARRISON LIMITED, ALBERT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bollington
National Grid Reference:
SJ 92227 77698

Details

SJ 97 NW BOLLINGTON ALBERT ROAD (North Side)

2/1 Lowerhouse Mill (premises of Slater Harrison Ltd.)

GV II

Formerly cotton mill now paperworks: 1811 for George Antrobus, steam engine house added c.1835 for Samuel Greg. Hammer-dressed buff sandstone, and asbestos roof. Core of the mill has a 4-storey symmetrical 23-bay east front (11:1:11) with 12-pane windows under plain stone lintels. Central bay is a projecting staircase tower under a stone-coped gable with windows in the sides and a clock face on the south and east. To the right is a 2-storey, former water turbine house, original mill's power source. Added to left is a 4-storey 2-bay beam engine house with semi-circular headed windows served by 2, one-storey boiler houses. Interior: Mill divided by 2 lines of plain, cast-iron columns supporting cast-iron beams and low brick arches.

Samuel Greg (Styal Mill's founder's son) ran the mill as a co-operative for the long period of 14 years (OJP Bott Estate Villages in Cheshire forthcoming). All additions to the described parts of the mill are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SJ9222777698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57918
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bott, OJP, Estate Villages in Cheshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].